Hey addy, have you heard about flow hives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know if this is something new, but I thought of you when I saw a tv show that profiled flow hives.
The honey flows out of tubes. No removing heavy hives, scraping honey or nudging bees out.
I don't know if these things are any good and I dont know much about bee keeping, but thought I'd mention it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol in the tv world it works that way. They always show a nice flow of honey coming out of a hive without ONE BEE coming to grab that sweet smelling stuff. Totally false. The few people that have them have had to make a enclosure to collect the honey or every bee in the area comes running. The ones that bought them have quit using them and pricey. They also said it is about the same amount of time as pulling honey from a regular hive.

Also bees tend to do what bees want to do. They do put pollen in the honey part of the flow hive, then you can not crack the cells open to get the honey out.

And no matter what you need to inspect the brood frames, it does not keep you from needing to go into the hive.

So just sticking with the old method, works well enough and to know how healthy your hive is you need inspect regularly.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That all makes sense! Most of the time it's the tried and true ole' fashioned methods that are the most productive. Trying to cut corners is usually not the best approach.

Ask a Question