Hey from south carolina

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I joined today I have made a 30 by 30 by 3 foot deed pond. it is clay and I made it for water runoff control. it says full for some reason and I would like a battery op pump filter system with solar charger for this. Any ideas?

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
here is a pic of the pond
IMG_20200917_133731.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’ll want plants along the sides, and some kind of pump for water movement. I’d say give it plenty of time so you know how the water level fluctuates before adding any non native fish that might be flooded out in heavy rains, but watch out for catfish as there are some that muck around the bottom disturbing the clay in search of things to eat that will keep water murky, and depending on the clay layer, might cause drainage issues.
I know nothing of solar pumps.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
cool thanks for the help. i have 6 330 gallon totes under my gutters to collect the runoff and i drain the runoff into the pond slowly. i want to go as green as possible with this that is why i want to use a 12 volt pump system. i have heard of windmills that pump air into the pond that will help clear the water up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Doc! One of the Caribbean Islands I visited had a solar set-up like you are asking about. It was a home made type of thing using car batteries hooked in parallel. Here is a commercial unit I found surfing the net:
It is expensive and looks like it is made for a nice golf course or some resort. Guess you could contact them for your application and see what they say.
If it were me, I would not worry about filtering the water or running a pump 24/7 if you aren't keeping fish. I would try a solar pump to move the water during daylight and see what happens. Two things I notice although: You have a bunch of trees around the pond and that will certainly affect the performance of the solar collector and the beautiful pasture will drain into the pond. Any nutrients or pesticides from the pasture will enter the pond.
Again, welcome to the forum and please let us know how your project goes!

Ask a Question