Hey new to the site ,and hers my pond

Reaction score
Started to rebuild my pond , Its 14 feet wide , 18 lond and about 7feet deep , with a stream / waterfall

let me know what you guys all think ? I just finished the liner instalation yesterday so I have a ton of landscaping to do and covering my pipes and liner

View attachment 2413

Attachments

• POND!.JPG
    POND!.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 341
Reaction score
ooh la la! that's a big pond. Your biggest challenge I can see is how you will hide the liner as you have that big hump all around. That hump is actually important as it will keep rain water and such from flowing into your pond. You'll need large, flat overhanging rocks to cover the top of that so you won't see the liner.

Or you could use a product like rock on a roll (you can google it), which you can bend over your hump. The stuff isn't cheap, but waterproof and bendable.

What was your idea for hiding the liner?

Also, what can you tell us about your filtration?

I see you've got a large tree right on top of the pond. In the fall, you will definitely have to build a net cover to prevent all those leaves from falling into your pond and making a total mess. Trees and ponds don't mix well together unfortunately. They look pretty together, but one creates a lot of work for the other.

But you've got a good start there!

Reaction score
I have a ton of nice flat rocks , to cover the liner along with gravel , yeh that tree sux i have a bunch of trees around it , its def a lot of work , I lined the hole insode of the pond with rocks as well and made a bunch of shelves and caves for the fishies to hide in ,
Just hope my dogs stay out of the pond ,

I also put a small bog into it not sure how to manage that never had one before , any information you can give on that as well would be great ,

o yeh I still have to add a ton of water into the pond

Reaction score
ok, there's your first mistake. NO ROCKS IN THE POND. You create a nightmare for cleaning out debris, mulm, poop, etc. You just will never be able to get the pond clean with rocks in it.

And fish tend to dart quickly when frightened, so you are creating a place where they can get hurt if they crash into your rock.

If it's not to late, I would caution you to remove every rock outta the pond you've put in.

Reaction score
'tis a shame! Folks put rock in because they think it looks natural like a "real" pond, but you have to keep in mind that our ponds are not "real" but just captured bodies of water. For the rest of you reading this and building a pond, leave your liner bare and do not put rocks in. Cleaning is just a bear with stones in the pond.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome! Very impressive size. I like to think big also.
If it's 7 feet deep you won't need any place for them to hide and I would seriously rethink the rock idea as mentioned. I went that rout at first and ended up taking them all out. They are dangerous for your fish.
Our commercial pond store in my area has rocks and river stones in there ponds as well and I asked them about it. There response was its way better without, they just do it because people shoping for ponds like the look. I personally like it all black to enhance the apperance of my fish.
But it's your pond, have fun and learn as you go with it. I know I have learned alot in my 3+ years in the hobby.

Reaction score
you guys make some great points , Wish I never put them in now ,Too late to take them out dang it .... well hopefully everything will work out well ,

Any tips on my bog area i never done one before?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Whatever you do on the bog make sure you filter the solids from the water before it goes into the bog. I learned this the hard way also. I thought the plants could use the waste and all I ended up with was a mess. I use pea gravel and some small river rock in mine and have been growing a couple a tomato plants that are starting to take off. I also have a aquaponic setup that flood and drains using pond water. That is in the early stages.
I could go on but will stop here. Feel free to ask me anything.

Reaction score
Man you really know your stuff ! Thanks again for all your help .... the river rock and pea gravel sounds like a good idea

Ask a Question