Hey there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been maintaining a 500 gallon hot tub pond in my yard for about 9 years. Although I messed around with pumps and filters in the beginning, I found that it would sort itself out. Every few years I will drain it and let the rain fill it back up, but that's about the extent of my involvement. It doesn't stink, the water is clear, the lillies grow great, and mosquito minnows and goldfish grow in there indefinitely. I decided to install a 130 gallon stock tank pond using a raised container full of local native plants as filters, and it is as clear and clean as pond water gets. I'd say I've been lucky because I am not educated in the ways of the pond beyond the basics!

That said, I'm looking forward to learning more in order to understand what is actually happening!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1576791369991.gif
@Blessed Oaks Ranch
Your plants will grow great getting the benefit of the fishy water. Sounds like what you are doing is working!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I also have a hot tub pond just set it up last year. Keep fan tails in it.

I filter all my ponds with plant bogs, they do a great job!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbor in his pondless feature uses the bottles of fish emulsion and it works great .He uses a tablespoon a week .I had said something to him about it ,because I use fish emulsion in my gardens and grass so I gave him a small jar of it and he could not believe how great it worked .I but several gallon bottles of it at Walmart at the end of the season every year for the next year .It does stink but worth every penny of the smell .I use it in my lily pond and when I store my water hyacinth for the winter in my basement .I by at least 6 gallons every year

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and yes you will learn lots on here since we all have different ways of filtering our ponds to how to build them Sorry I forgot to say welcome ,it was a senior moment :)

Ask a Question