Hi all - Newbie here :)

Reaction score
Hi All, Newbie here.

I will be constructing my first pond soon so will be after some advice!

currently trying to plan it out!!

Pete

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is lots of helpful advice here - you've come to the right place! Welcome :wave:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! You are taking the right first steps by PLANNING before you start! Good for you!

Though not directly related to the construction phase, the very first thing, IMHO: do your research and learn as much as you can about water quality and what factors go into having "healthy" water for your fish. That may help you decide related issues such as pond placement, design, size & shape, as well as types of filtration, etc. Learn about the conversion of ammonia, pH, fish loads, plants, "new pond syndrome"......

Oh, that's assuming you'll have fish.....

One of the biggest issues we see is folks with sick or dying fish who post and want to know "why my fish suddenly died," and they are totally clueless to the fact that poor WATER QUALITY is usually always the reason. There is a fine balance, and pond owners should understand how it works.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and yep planning ahead will save you headaches in the future .

Reaction score
Thanks for warm welcome and advice. I am pretty clued up when it comes to fish being the keen angles I am, and understand about their environment and habitats,on the other hand pond building, equipment, and creating this environment I haven't a clue :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I watch a lot of video's on you tube on ponds and filters and fish .It helps see what other people are building

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
sissy said:
I watch a lot of video's on you tube on ponds and filters and fish .It helps see what other people are building
Me too! I posted lots of questions about "builds," and got lots of good advice, but I am VERY visually oriented (I have to literally SEE IT).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! We will enjoy watching you dig!

Ask a Question