Hi all!

Reaction score
My name is Marisa. I got my first pond for my birth day (a bit early) yesterday. We put it in the ground and filled it with water. So that's as far as we have gotten so far so I will be frequently returning to this site to bug every one with a million questions and worry's lol.

Lets see we live on the central coast of California (think in between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo) so we don't have to worry about snow or frost but I am positive we will be needing help! :goldfish:

Reaction score
Well my pond is 60 gallons, so it's small. I am interested in making my own bio filter but I can't seem to find any step by step instructions on how to make one.

Reaction score
GREAT! thanks so much! now... what size of this set up should I use for a 60 gallon pond? I guess I will have to use a pump (correct?) so what should I look for in my pump for my pond/bio filter?

Reaction score
Will that disturb my small pond? Or do aquatic plants and (eventually) fish like fast moving water? Or will it be more of a water fall speed?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
120 gph is only 2 gallons a minute it wont disturb anything... after it goes thru the biofilter that flow will go down too! a 5 gallon bucket will make a nice biofilter for your small pond.

Reaction score
newbieincalifornia said:
So since my pond is 60 gallons I should buy a pump that pumps 120 GPH?

this would be a mininum but yes

if you would like water lilies and/or lotus you would want to place them in a lower flow area

Reaction score
I will! It's all pretty basic (hole, hard liner, water, surrounded by fresh dirt lol) but I think it is a great idea to take pictures of the whole process. Maybe even post a blog about it walking through my first timers experience for other first timers to see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digital Brains Tech

Latest Threads