Hi everyone! I'm new to this hobby/passion in the Fox Lake IL area

Reaction score
Country
United States
@ToneDude - I'm not far from you! Have you been to Wyld Creek yet? It's on 12. The folks there are very, very helpful and will point you in the right direction. And I agree - tell them you're interested in learning how to add a bog filter to your pond and they will walk you through it!

I have been there! I met the owners - great people with a very large array of ponds out back in a beautiful layout. He said to get back to him with photos and/or video of what I currently have, which I will do soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have not decided on a pump or filter yet. There are a bewildering array of products available.
I'm on a budget as just bought the house (how I inherited the fish pond) and am out of work.
Webbs Online just quoted a combo that's too rich for my blood.
I'm limping along on the existing Tetra pump & waterfall combo that came with the pond, but it is obviously inadequate for 3600 gallons pond. I'm afraid to start feeding the fish because of the buildup of toxins.
I'd like to get a pump for under $500 and build the filter because YouTube videos make it look easy and I'm very handy DIY.
Currently eyeing 82100 Quiet Drive External Pump MPN QD 4150 for $480 all in with needed accessories.
It will take me a few years before the bog happens because that means tearing up a beautiful landscape around the pond and I'll have to get project approval from management. :)
@ToneDude ; here's a 4500 gph pump for less than $140. Should get you going and give you extra cash for that bog we've been nudging you toward!

pond pump

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would go with a submersible pump for the size pond you have . a whole lot cheaper . Be careful of youtube videos- there are a lot out there done by people who have no idea how to build a pond. Check out the threads here in the construction section!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have been there! I met the owners - great people with a very large array of ponds out back in a beautiful layout. He said to get back to him with photos and/or video of what I currently have, which I will do soon.
Hey Tonedude! There are a lot of articles how to build a skippy filter on GPF. These actually work really well and are so much cheaper than store bought filters. They are basically large rubbermade tubs with filter media and outlets/ inlets for water flow. The only issue is they take up space, but knowing you have some land to work and that you are handy you could probably build a small enclosure around it to make a nice esthetic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey Tonedude! There are a lot of articles how to build a skippy filter on GPF. These actually work really well and are so much cheaper than store bought filters. They are basically large rubbermade tubs with filter media and outlets/ inlets for water flow. The only issue is they take up space, but knowing you have some land to work and that you are handy you could probably build a small enclosure around it to make a nice esthetic.
Yep, when I first joined this forum, the skippy type filters were big. Now it seems you don't hear much about them anymore and now the big thing is bog filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, when I first joined this forum, the skippy type filters were big. Now it seems you don't hear much about them anymore and now the big thing is bog filtration.
they may be cheaper but there's still regular maintenace with skippys and I think that's a good reason why bog filtration is so atractive. Especially since they also work so well. I had it in my mind when I first started ponding that a homemade skippy was my route, the thought coming from indoor aquariums and it would just be a bigger version of my hang off the back filter boxes I always used. Glad I found bog filtration and ditched that idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
they may be cheaper but there's still regular maintenace with skippys and I think that's a good reason why bog filtration is so atractive. Especially since they also work so well. I had it in my mind when I first started ponding that a homemade skippy was my route, the thought coming from indoor aquariums and it would just be a bigger version of my hang off the back filter boxes I always used. Glad I found bog filtration and ditched that idea.
Yep, zero maintenance is NICE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, zero maintenance is NICE!
PJ; do you suppose it's rude to sit with a drink in one hand while lounging in a nice chair by the pond and bog, and comment on how some folks have to flush out the pads and whatnot while you just admire their hard work? Would it also be rude to offer them a drink when they get done, so they too can enjoy the pond again? I mean, would it really???? :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
PJ; do you suppose it's rude to sit with a drink in one hand while lounging in a nice chair by the pond and bog, and comment on how some folks have to flush out the pads and whatnot while you just admire their hard work? Would it also be rude to offer them a drink when they get done, so they too can enjoy the pond again? I mean, would it really???? :giggle:
Ha! After they clean all their filter pads, they can come by my place and have beer, that is if they're not too tired. I'll be there relaxing with clean dry hands and not a tool in sight!
Sorry all you FPP (filter pad people)!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You guys are too funny! (Someone pour me a drink, would ya?)

Listen - while I do spend time relaxing and enjoying the pond, I still have plenty to do AROUND my pond, but it's gardening (which I love) not cleaning filter pads (which feels too much like what I do INSIDE the house).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You guys are too funny! (Someone pour me a drink, would ya?)

Listen - while I do spend time relaxing and enjoying the pond, I still have plenty to do AROUND my pond, but it's gardening (which I love) not cleaning filter pads (which feels too much like what I do INSIDE the house).
betcha you'd get more housework done if we moved your bog inside, Lisa...:giggle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't stopped tinkering with my pond since the day I started. But the one thing I literally have not touched is the bogs. I have vacuumed the whole pond planted around the pond but the bogs just do there thing. I tried to clean out the bog this spring but so little came out it was a waste of time. A friend was over tge other day to where he said the fish looked like they were flying as he couldn't see the water. Now there's a compliment for bogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I haven't stopped tinkering with my pond since the day I started. But the one thing I literally have not touched is the bogs. I have vacuumed the whole pond planted around the pond but the bogs just do there thing. I tried to clean out the bog this spring but so little came out it was a waste of time. A friend was over tge other day to where he said the fish looked like they were flying as he couldn't see the water. Now there's a compliment for bogs
Ha! You have flying fish?!!

Ask a Question