Hi everyone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I built a small backyard pond at my home in NJ. Previously I lived at a home with a pond, but was not involved with the upkeep. This time it’s all on me.
I have lots to learn!
86AF8EF8-9F6F-4513-8B20-E36035306638.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice pond!

How many gallons is it? It looks good for some goldfish, fantails etc. Don't put koi in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!
Nice looking pond! You did a nice job building it!

I'm in your neighboring State of Pennsylvania.

This forum is a great place to educate yourself on ponding. You will absorb a wealth of knowledge and learn from other people's experiences. Spend some time and read as many threads that you can.

If you have any questions or concerns, just ask, we are a friendly bunch.

We would like to know more about your pond.
How many gallons?
How many fish, what type of fish and their size.
Describe you filtration, if any.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
Nice looking pond! You did a nice job building it!

I'm in your neighboring State of Pennsylvania.

This forum is a great place to educate yourself on ponding. You will absorb a wealth of knowledge and learn from other people's experiences. Spend some time and read as many threads that you can.

If you have any questions or concerns, just ask, we are a friendly bunch.

We would like to know more about your pond.
How many gallons?
How many fish, what type of fish and their size.
Describe you filtration, if any.
Hi there! I lived in PA for many years and only recently crossed the river to NJ.
I estimate the pond to be somewhere between 800-1000 gallons. I dug the hole and used a rubber liner. I tried lining the sides with rocks but was only partly successful. some of my side rocks detached despite the foam adhesive and tumbled in!

I have a pump with a filter, and filter falls at the other end, plus two small aerators. I sunk a large planter into the middle with water iris surrounded by pond soil and pea gravel, so I’m hoping it comes back. I also have 2 small koi from a neighbor’s pond (they look more like goldfish to me) but if they outgrow my pond I can always give them back!

thanks for asking and the welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I tried lining the sides with rocks but was only partly successful. some of my side rocks detached despite the foam adhesive and tumbled in!
Yeah, that pond foam is not good for structural use. It's mainly used by some people to just kind of guide the water toward a certain direction, like in the middle of a waterfall. I don't use it.

If the falling rocks are under the water, there might not be much you can do but start at the very bottom and stack them up from there.

If they are the ones surrounding the outside of the pond, you just need to stack them better. Lock them into each other so they can't move. It takes trial and error fitting them together. Turning them, flipping them...

Ask a Question