Hi everyone

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Hello everyone. Getting started on building my first pond. Its going to have a small header pool leading into a stream that will be about 30-35' long and empty into a 9' x 12' pond. My site has a gentle slope. I live on the edge of zone 4/zone 5 so I will be making it 3' deep. Thanks to everyone who posts on this site as I have been checking it out for a month or so looking for advice and answers.
Nathan

ps...herz aus stahl means "heart of steel" in German and is a musical reference to the band Manowar

Attachments

• DSC02405b.jpg
    DSC02405b.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 180

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome herzausstahl and looks like a nice place for a pond .Hope you show the step by step as you build .You might want to go 4 ft deep on one end of your pond after all the weird winters we have been having .One end of mine is 2 feet deep and then it gradually slopes down to a little over 3 feet now ..It gives them more protection from heat or cold .What kind of fish are you going to have and what kind of pump and filter are you going to have .Also how much sun is the pond going to get .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome Heart of steel (I will never remember how to spell it in german). Looks like you have a really nice big plot to put your pond. I would go deeper if you can maybe 4' to be on the safe side, means more digging but a little more diggin now might save you some frustration later on. Much like Addy mine is about 2/3 2' deep with about 1/3 of it 36" deep. You said your creek was 35' long, how deep do you plan on making this? Will you have a waterfall into the creek?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif

Welcome,
That looks like the slope I had in arizona, made a real nice stream, it ended up being around 40 feet.

Bury your pipes deep, that go to the top of the stream, so you don't have to worry about them, we put ours 3 feet into the ground.. I would suggest a little deeper, mine here deepest is 5 feet or so.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have the time insulate the pipes and wrap a wire around them so you can locate them later .I insulated all my pipes and found it is a big relief knowing that things will not chew through them and ran all my electric wires through a pipe also .Moles here chew through everything .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Herz... Welcome and good luck with your pond. If you want you can post pics and updates of your pond build on a construction thread and people will be happy to give you their two cents!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks everyone...I am looking at at least 3' deep across the bottom of the pond with it sloping downward a few inches towards the fence. I am going back and forth on whether or not to have Koi or goldfish (Shebunkin appeal to me) or probably will end up with a mix of both. This year I will only be building it, then adding fish in spring. I was looking at making a Doc Bio Filter and hiding it by the fence. On the fence side I plan on making a small decking that will partially overhang the pond to create some shade since it is in full sun. I won't have a skimmer or bottom drain since I have no mature trees around it, and the drain because I don't want to cut the liner (can retrofit one later if need be). Found a 5000 gph Total Pond pump on ebay that will power the stream and was going to find a smaller pump to run to the filter (one that can handle solids). The stream will begin with a small header pool that will run over a stepped falls (to help avoid water loss from a tall falls). The stream I was going to take Addie's advice from other threads and make it at least 10" deep, probably closer to 12" and 2' to 2 1/2' wide. It should be around 30' or so long coming down the slope. I was going to use 2" Flex PVC so I don't have to worry about burying the pipes below the frost line (I am in all clay and don't want to have to do a 3' pipe trench). Does anyone have any experience with Flex PVC? They advertised that it can freeze solid without breaking, which not sure I believed, but the water drains down to pond water in the pipe when turned off correct? The whole pipe run with the exception of the top portion that would go into the header pool would be run at an up elevation so everything should drain down. I should have extra so if it froze at the pond level and busted I could replace that portion and couple it together and then remove the ends in winter. Does anyone leave their pumps at the bottom of their pond through cold weather? Sorry for the long reply, will repost this in the newbie pond section.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your best bet is to insulate the pipes no matter what .I live in VA and I insulated all mine and after the last 2 winters I'm glad I did .I also took pics to remember where everything is and I wrapped wire around it just in case I would need a metal detector to find them later

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't insulate mine or bury them 3 deep to keep from freezing, but what I did do is they all are designed to drain either back to the pond and on one line I have a ball valve at the low point to drain it, because it goes down hill then up about 2'. Have done this for6 years no problems. You just have to make sure you are confident that you got all the water out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you use an air compressor on low you could blow them out like they do with underground sprinklers

Ask a Question