Hi everyone

Reaction score
Thank you for letting me join your forum. I find that you never can have enough info about pond keeping and caring for fish and plants. I have had a pond now for 4 years and learn something new every year. With the spring thaw now finally under way, I was really excited to finally be able to see images of our fish under the ice. This was short lived, only to find that ALL living life no longer exists in my pond, do to a pond de-icer that has failed. People may think I am pretty strange, but I am really devastated, we have had these fish for 4 yrs now and the majority of them had their own names as well as the frogs. So I guess maybe now I can post my first question. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening again? The only thing I know to do is have 2 heaters in case one fails. I am open to any suggestions.Thank you Sherri

Dls

Reaction score
Hi Sherri
Sorry about your luck. I understand how you feel. Those fish are part of your family. This has happened to me before. Your question is better left up to someone that is more knowledgeable than I. I just know that you need to keep an opening in ice for gases to escape. We live in Central Mich and only have a bubbler it has done a good job for the last few years. We still have ice on our pond so I can't see our fish yet. I'm so anxious to see how they are. We have 2 ponds and I can't wait till snow and ice leave. Good luck to you and happy ponding this year.
Di

Reaction score
Thanks for your concern. I just wanted to say that believe it or not some of the babies have survived, so I am hoping if this weather ever decides to straighten out ,I can get them out of that infected water. I also wanted to ask you, being you live in Michigan, and it is probably a little colder than where I live(Pennsylvania), you said you use a bubbler?Do you mean like a fountain ?? Iam not really clear on what you mean, would you mind telling me?? I sure would appreciate it.

Ask a Question