Hi, fellow pond lovers.

Reaction score
Hi. I am living in western NC and have been interested in water gardens and ponds for several years. We live in the mountains of NC so there are natural creeks and waterfalls absolutely everywhere. I'd always planned to live beside one, but my husband inherited land from his dad...land with NO CREEK...not even a little one...and we decided to build out house there. So I got my own pond and waterfall and put it on the deck. I also have fountains, indoors and out. I love the peaceful sound...my husband has commented that it sounds like the toilet is always running, ha ha. What does he know? Anyway, my plants are artificial (except my hens-and-chicks and some bamboo) because I seem to be the kiss of death to most plants. I also do not keep fish (even though I do love them) because my cats play in the pond and it would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Does anyone else here decorate your pond for holidays? For Halloween, I did a very realistic scene that made my pond look like the ghost kid from Ringu was crawling out of it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. When I was growing up my parents had a cabin in Franklin NC in a tiny town called Otto, it was a great place to visit and at sometime in my life I hope to be able to move down to that area or in the upstate of SC. That area is so pretty and the mountain views you can never get tired of. Anyway to answer your question about decorating your pond for the seasons. The only thing that happens as far as decorating is Nature dropping her leaves in and around my pond. Now I often though about putting a santa hat on my Buddha but not sure that would really be kosher plus I would have to wade in the cold water to put it on and off and there is no way that is going to happen. I have also though about decorating the trees and shrubs with lights for Christmas but I admit it that I am just to lazy to do it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love NC ,but decided after looking around and checking prices and taxes VA was cheaper place to retire .I go to NC to shop a lot since I am only 15 minutes fro Eden NC and funny I go there to shop and people in the stores tell me they would rather shop in VA because of better bargains >I love the lowes in Riedsville and in Mayodan NC they know how to clearance plants out at a great price .I put just LED lights up on my pond at Christmas

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomebirdsvg.gif

Glad you joined! We don't decorate the pond, by that time it is frozen or snow covered, well at least so far have not.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomehu9.gif
Tisha
You will have to post some pix of your pond and also when it's decorated too. Would be fun to see!

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Welcome, Tisha! Your pond and waterfall sound lovely. And I like the idea of decorating for the holidays. We decorate inside and out but did not decorate our previous pond. Our new one is very close to the house so maybe I'll do so this year. I have a beautiful Vanderwolf pine next to the pond that would look great with tiny white lights on it. Thanks for the idea! :highfive:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tisha, welcome aboard! :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Maybe I will decorate IT for the fall and winter .HE is now in a pot near my pond and will eventually have to go in the ground but for now he is snug as a bug in a rug in his pot

Ask a Question