Hi from Arkansas - container pond with bog filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Been reading posts and generally lurking since January, and keep on getting that prompt to make an intro post.

I live in central Arkansas. Recently spent the winter reading pond forums and talking to the pond guys at my LFS because I wanted to convert a 275 gallon galvanized steel stock tank from a water feature into a goldfish pond.

With my son supplying the muscle, I constructed a 60 gallon bog filter for it a couple of months ago, and it's now home to six ryukins (2 of which were previously in a tank in the house).

I love it. It's been relatively pain-free in terms of cycling, and I am still looking to stuff more plants into the bog filter. I had concentrated at first on hardy bog plants, and now I'm thinking about some other typically terrestrial plants that like wet feet.

Reaction score
welcome

sharpchick, just want to say you'll need to bring those tropical plants inside for winter as a reminder and let them go dormant if possible or keep going during the winter inside.. i think floating plants like hyacinth are not worth the effort and inexpensive to buy each year.. unless of course you want to try and overwinter them but not easy from what i've heard

Ask a Question