Hi from Borden in Kent (UK)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been browsing this forum for a few months prior to starting my own pond, which is now well underway.. i've posted a pic to give you an idea, although it's moved on quite a bit since that was taken.. but in summary:

I knocked down an old rickety summerhouse/shed at the bottom of my garden (large sloping south facing) when i moved in to the property aprox 6 years ago.. this left a large, deep (5ft plus!) and immoveable concrete base... i've worked on the rest of the garden installing flower beds, wildlife zones, hedgehog houses etc etc and it's all doing very well.. so after a few years 'planning', hundered of sheets of scribbled designs i finally started on my pond.

As a keen photographer what i wanted was a ground level wildlife pond, however the depth of the foundations coupled with the adjacent neighbours wall/shed really stopped me causing major issues by removing it.. however i have a medium raised bed the other side of the garden (about 5/6 bricks high).. so i thought i'd put in an identical height raised pond the other side.. not too deep, just for wildlife.. and fortunately given the garden slopes down to it i can level a large flower bed to meet the pond edge on one side (left side of photo) allowing plenty of ground level access for wildlife.. pond is roughly square with one 45 deg corner.. it's 5/6 bricks high, english bond with a mix of facing and engineering bricks, with further levels inside..

Anyway.. just wanted to say hello.. lots of inspiring stories and builds in here (which helps for inspiration and motivation!).. i'll get some more up to date photos together with a view to starting my own 'my pond build' thread going..

Best regards to all

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 163

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and sounds like you really planned it out and only thing is with wildlife ponds you do not want the undesirable critters coming in .Like bugs .But with the ground running into it that you may have problems also with dirt running into it also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome and sounds like you really planned it out and only thing is with wildlife ponds you do not want the undesirable critters coming in .Like bugs .But with the ground running into it that you may have problems also with dirt running into it also

Yes you're right... I'm sloping the ground up to meet one edge of the pond which will be mostly gravel at the top so hopefully that should avoid soil running in if it rains heavily, not sure how I'll keep the bugs out though, I hadn't considered that .. Hmm

I'll post some updated pics over the weekend as I've nearly completed the main walled sides, just need to build the internal shelves..

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.. This forum is an inspiration, can be a bit isolated doing this on your own.. Thanks again

Mike

Ask a Question