Hi from Bulgaria

Reaction score
We have inherited small ponds in the past but decided to build our own this time.

It is an elongated figure 8, about 1800 cu m. We have incorporated a small bog garden off to one end.

Trying to find water plants in Bulgaria (unless you go down to the river) is like pulling teeth so (apart from those that we took from river banks) we bought some through Amazon Germany.

We have no fish. Ponds we have had in the past were fish-oriented with very few plants so we have had to do a lot of research re. deep water, surface and marginals and those for the bog garden. However, water lilies are a bit of an unknown.

We were able to get one commercial plant in Bulgaria. It is just referred to as Nymphaea White so we don’t have a clue what variety it is. It came in a pot and we positioned it so that the existing pads were just floating (about 25 cm). It settled in very quickly and we had about eight pads, ranging in size from 4 to 6 cm. As they die off they are replaced quite rapidly (apologies for lack of knowledge as to what is actually happening, botanically) and we are now up to about 12 with two on the way out.

Should we remove the pads at an specific stage or just let them die off completely?

The second one we got was through Amazon Germany. It came as just a large horizontal root with several green leaves at the root and a couple of pads. There was no name for it. The pads weren’t in great condition and, although we positioned the pot (that we put it into) well below the other one (approx. 55 cm), in order to accommodate the pads floating, they quickly died off. A week later, a pad started to sprout from the root and now we have (almost) three at the surface. They are 10-11 cms diameter (the ones that died, I am sure were a fair amount bigger).

Anyway, my question is, what are these other leaves (about 5) that have remained at root level? The surface leaves are smooth circular with a radial notch but those that have remained below appear to be scallop edged, wavy instead of flat, with a radial notch and are a lot “greener” than the surface pads.

I am sure that we will have lots more questions.

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Welcome to our group

Post some pictures of your plants that would really help. When the pads turn yellow and die off I usually prune them.
The one per the net, is a white lily.

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Addy1, I understand that the "Nymphaea White" could be Nymphaea alba, of Europe and North Africa, Nymphaea lotus, of East Africa and Southeast Asia or Nymphaea pubescens, of South Asia and Southeast Asia,possibly others. I think it must be the first of these.

Also, on further reading, I understand that some (?) water lilies do have a different type of leaf under the water (some people remove the pads when the plant is an aquarium so that they just have the underwater foliage). I wasn't aware of this. so I guess that is why they are present on the second one. They look quite interesting. Pity there isn't a way of displaying both to advantage.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
gluepack
Seems as tho lily pads do change a lot from birth to full size and are interesting to watch. Just enjoy the pads and the blooms and if you have a camera we would love to see them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The plant with submerged leaves is probably spatterdock (nuphar luteum) or one of its relatives, not a variety of nymphaea. Oh, yes; welcome to the forum! John

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that Haro.

It certainly looks a lot like Nuphar Lutea, although it took me 13 pages of google/images before I came across an underwater shot…
http://www.roslinywo...at-1-id-11.aspx

The surface leaves (in the images of Nuphar Lutea) seem to vary a bit (knowing google/images though, some people do tend to make mistakes with identification) but generally they fit the pattern of mine where the edges of the radial slit tend to overlap a bit as opposed to being quite separated as per the Nymphaea Alba that we have.

Thanks again.

Oh, according to Wikipedia, I may still get a flower this year, particularly as the weather here is so warm. It does say it grows in water up to 40 cm though and it is probably at more like 50 cm depth at present although it certainly seems to be thriving.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Here in Ontario nuphar grows in water up to about 10' (3 meters) in depth. My identification book claims they can grow in 15'. You will find them in many places far too deep for nymphaea. The entire plant is eaten by moose and deer, and muskrat and beaver store the rootstocks for winter food. You can even prepare the root as you would potatoes, or dry it and pound it into flour to make bread! A very useful plant!!! John

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes and responses.

Haro, I lived in Ontario, north of Toronto on the Durhan town line, for about ten years. Didn't have a pond then (although had a boggy area) but did have a couple of aquariums.

Addy1, do you just take the surface leaf off and is there any problem with just doing that or do you prune at the base?

Taherrmann4, your avatar pic also reminds me of Ontario and my two lab-spaniel crosses that you couldn't keep out of the pool.

j.w, if they bloom this year and there is still a chance I guess, I'll take some photos.

koiguy1969, I'd love some koi (or other fish come to that) but don't think they would necessarily last the winter here.

Becky, thanks. Manchester hey. Bet it isn't like it was in the 60's when I used to visit friends at the art college there.

Am in the process of building a waterfall feature at the moment using a large urn, that we inherited at our house here, and some old roof tiles. Trying to resolve a backwash problem with the water running from tile to tile. My knowledge of physics is rusty.

Ask a Question