hi from georgia

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your only able to go 2' down I would stick with goldfish. I thought I could get away with 2feet of depth but and I'm finding out quickly, Koi are out growing within two years they are starting to need more depth. Goldfish did fine in mine and I'm planning on going back to goldfish only and building better koi ponds in the future.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a deep pond acicho and am sticking with goldies and shubunkins, they tend to be hardier and don't destroy the plants as bad.

Koi are beautiful, but not for me. lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi are more social and love to interact with people and like being petted ,but do have to admit more work and are destructive to plants in pond .I guess if you had a large pond and only 2 or 3 would be fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anicho, 1000 gallons would make a great goldfish pond and allow your fish room to grow. For koi you might be busting out at the seems before you know it. Good luck with your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
she is so cute I noticed that right aways little princess .My neighbor has a long haired one and he comes over everyday to get his treat .Soon as his mommy lets him out to go pee he is at my back door yapping

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi are more social than goldfish you can get koi to almost act like dogs ,they like there chins to be rubbed and they love being petted .I am now training Agie my biggest koi roll overs in the pond when I tell her she rolls over once or twice then looses interest because she wants her treat:lol::lol:she's a pig .Ibuy them special treats in blueberry orange and strawberry .she is a blueberry girl

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I give them balls to play with the lighted one is for at night funny to watch it speeding back and forth across the pond .The regular balls they love to play with during the day Agie's next trick is jumping through a hoop .Try to teach her and Bert my other big koi tricks because it's just fun to watch them learn something new .I try to spend at least an hour a day in the morning with them and an hour in the evening .During the day if I'm out by the pond I let them know I'm looking at them by talking to them .The more you interact with them the more social they become .I would have rather had the easy care of goldfish but koi are more social .I have goldfish in my pond but they are social but not as social as koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anicho, Koi requires a little bit more sophisticated filter system. If you are thinking about adding a koi you may want to consider putting in a bottom drain. A bottom drain is good for any fish but especially important for koi because they are larger fish and produce more waste. Also you shouldn't put in any rocks that would interfere with the waste being removed. Also remember koi like to eat plants so it might be harder to use floating plants that cover the pond in the summer that help reduce algae from growing. It is all about fun so I'm sure one small koi won't hurt, but you should be aware of the different requirements for each fish. Good luck!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Hi Anicho, had to pop in and say "welcome aboard". enjoy your time here on the forum and more importantly....ENJOY YOUR POND!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's true koi are more work if I did start again it would maybe be goldies but I just love how social my koi are .But they do destroy plants kill frogs need more air and kill frogs and I have a filter at each end of my pond .Cometkeith is right about the extra work ,sometimes I feel it's worth it other times not so sure .It's a big job with them .My koi 6 years ago were tiny little fish now are 2 feet and surely not getting any smaller or getting any easier to take care of

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With good circulation, a submersible pump takes care of Koi waste just fine. I have over a dozen, some up to 24" in my lower pond and I never see waste in the bottom. The bio filter takes care of it by trapping it in the vortex caused by the swirl of the incoming water.

Ask a Question