Hi from me, a total pond newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We acquired a derelict pond when we bought our new (to us) home 12 months ago. After a lot of rennovation inside our attention is now moving outdoors and its my job to reclaim the forgotten pond at the bottom of the garden. Over the next year I'm going to be reinstating the pond alondside a sustainable rainwater drainage system. We live in Cornwall, South West England and although a sunny summer holiday destination, the winters are furious with every transatlantic storm checking in here first. We're in a rural location and have to manage all waste water, sewage and run off ourselves.

This is how the rainwater drainage used to look like, around 12 years ago:

1591900806762.jpeg

Unfortunately a previous owner tore this bioswale system out and left the pond at the bottom out to dry. I'm hoping that we can put things right and any hints, advice and inside knowledge members can help me with will be more than most appreciated!!

Thanks for your time reading.

Attachments

• 1591900747745.jpeg
    1591900747745.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are those lilac bushes in the back? That’s very pretty. Did they take out all the rock too? If so, I’d say rebuild the rock line, starting with large rocks, and work up to smaller ones. Then edge it all in pea rock, like a bog. Add lots of plants that like water, like iris, which comes in a variety of colors and sizes. And I’d suggest choosing plants for their uses, durability, and sturdiness as well as looks.

Ask a Question