Hi from North Carolina!

Reaction score
I am new to this forum thing so be patient with me!:) i have had a Koi pond for several years but still seem to learn something new with it all the time. I hope to gather more knowledge through the help of others here who have more experience than I.
I have an issue with A frog! With my smaller pond I had small toads and I was ok with that...but this mug is HUGE! It is rather dark, almost black and his body is as large as the palm of my hand. Yep...he is pretty scary, not to mention i have No more small fish in my pond! Can anyone tell me what kind of frog it may be and how I can catch him? He has GOT to GO

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Can you post a picture of the frog? And pond please, we love to see ponds!

Any chance of having someone catch him and relocate him?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I am in SC and I have a frog that looks similar to that. I call it a bull frog. It lives in my skimmer box and scares the stew out of me every time I remove the lid!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
hand_writing.gif

The best way to catch a bull frog is with a net and a flash light. If you have someone that can help you, go out at night, as quiet as you can, blind the frog with the light have someone else net it. It may take you a few tries, they tend to hang out in one area of the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and been to Winston Salem a few times .Pretty place .I try to keep some of the frogs away from my pond as to many tadpoles plug up my pumps .I blind mine at night with a flashlight and catch them with a swimming pool net .Shine flashlight in it's eyes and most of them freeze up and scoop up in the big swimming pool net and take him to a creek to live a happy life and find a girlfriend .I have a home depot bucket i drilled holes in the sides with a lid on it and a little water for transport

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The frog absolutely sounds like a Bull Frog. I don't know all the species of frogs in North Carolina, but around here that is the only thing it would be. The darkness of its skin can change. There are times when my Green Frog has really dark skin, other times it looks light brown, but its the same frog!

and... uhh.. scary? Its a frog! :LOL:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is one of the big guys I had in my pond a few years ago, had two but they have since moved on. The bigger pavers are 6x6 and the smaller ones are 4x4 to give you a reference. I called him jabba the hut.

dsc01978-jpg.34155

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! I'm from NC too and I love frogs :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is one of the big guys I had in my pond a few years ago, had two but they have since moved on. The bigger pavers are 6x6 and the smaller ones are 4x4 to give you a reference. I called him jabba the hut.

dsc01978-jpg.34155

Me thinks he ate lots of be'be' fishies to get that big! He might even have a bird or two in there :cautious:

Ask a Question