Hi From Ny

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have been lurking and realized I am doing everything wrong. I always wanted a goldfish pond, when I went to a yard sale that had one for $10 I jumped on it. It is preformed I believe 300 gallons, hard to measure because it is kidney shaped. I filled it up with city water let sit for a week, dug up some cat tails threw in some duck weed. Then added 6 small goldfish, I thought the plants would filter the water for fish. After reading old posts here I ordered a pump and filter. The fish stay on the bottom not moving much, I believe it is because they are cold. Days here are not usual spring temperatures 50s low 60s should I buy a heater or wait for warm weather.Going to need a lot of help, everyone here seems nice and glad to help a newbie Thank you

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
hello-everyone-omega-forums.gif
You've come to the right place...a lot of nice folks willing to help one another out.

First off, you don't need a heater for goldfish. Soon enough, the water will be heating up, and the concern then will be shade and keeping the water cooler.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you I was worried the water in pet shop would have been much warmer then pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

When you add fish you should float them a bit. To get the water temp in the bag equal to the pond water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to our group! How exciting!

No, a heater isn't necessary. As already stated, GF are cold-water fish. Now, when winter rolls around you may have to check back in with us if there's a chance that your pond will freeze [in this case, you'll need something to keep a hole open in the ice, but still not something to "heat" the water -- depends on your individual pond....].

We love to see pictures here -- do you have a few pics you could post?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Welcome!

Your fish a staying at the bottom most likely because they are in a new environment which they need time to adjust to and they additional are perceiving everything that they see as a predator. Given time they will be swimming around like they run the place, which, in truth, they will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for the welcome everyone. I live full time in the city of White Plains, I have a country home about hour north of the city. I have several acres of wetlands and a small creek there. There are a few shallow ponds that connect, neighbor added goldfish when house was empty. I can not blame him at the time West Nile was reported in the area and he had children that play outside. I have not seen any goldfish in a while lots of predators. Many different types of turtle, even have a breeding population of turtle on endangered species list Blanding turtle. looking to learn here thank you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and not sure but have to ask have you gotten a test kit and also I would get att least something to keep an opening in the ice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did pick up a test kit, have not opened yet. Will get what ever I need. Have a heated water bottle for my rabbit so heater for ice will not be a problem.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you for the welcome everyone. I live full time in the city of White Plains, I have a country home about hour north of the city. I have several acres of wetlands and a small creek there. There are a few shallow ponds that connect, neighbor added goldfish when house was empty. I can not blame him at the time West Nile was reported in the area and he had children that play outside. I have not seen any goldfish in a while lots of predators. Many different types of turtle, even have a breeding population of turtle on endangered species list Blanding turtle. looking to learn here thank you.

Originally from New Rochelle, here.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I lived at Hudson Park when I was a kid and teenager. Loved the ramp on the Old Beach at high tide and the float on the New Beach at any tide. Used to attend the Blessed Sacrament HS and NRHS games at Memorial Field in MV in HS. Graduated BSHS in '74.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcome from a NJ neighbor
new to sport as well
question on your preform, how did you surround the liner or did you drop it in the ground? also what type of goldfish did you get? I've been told the feeder types you buy at the pet stores aren't meant to be pond fish. I had considered getting some to start the pond, but was discouraged by everyone here to do so

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads