Hi from Oregon

Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hello, just built my pond a little less than 2 years ago and have enjoyed it a lot. I had

hired a contractor to do it, but after a couple of days I realized he didn't know what he was

doing so a friend and myself decided to give it a go. I already had the hole dug about 7 years

ago when I had an excavator on site digging out tree stumps. We did some research and decided

to go with a rock lined bottom (I hear groans but it seems to be working so far). We got most of it together in

about 3 weeks but still have more to do. I bought a couple of small goldfish to make sure

fish could live in the pond, they did. I was lucky to have a friend with excess koi and he

gave me about 24 that were about 10 inches.What I didn't realize is that the goldfish would like it

so much that the next summer I would have hundreds of babies. I tried netting,trapping,and

using a seine net and gave away hundreds but knew I could never get rid of all of them.

Drained the pond a month ago and got rid of all the goldfish. Unfortunately I also got rid of

all my good bacteria and am now dealing with an algae bloom. Anyway I have enjoyed the site

and have found some good information. Looking forward to reading all the posts and articles.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes I do have a few. Will try to figure out how to post them. I do have a couple in my album.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 301

Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Only one uploaded will try another. I tried again but it didn't work. I Think I need to resize them. They start to load and then I get an error code.

Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The pond is about 80 by 40 feet. It's about 4 feet deep. My wife wanted something big enough that she could swim in.

Joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It is big. We have a skimmer with a 9,000 gallon an hour pump that goes up to the biofalls. This seems to do the job okay. If I had to do it again I don't think I would make it quite so big. We go through a lot of Microbe-lift and barley extract. I'm also thinking of adding a small skippy filter to help out.

Ask a Question