Hi, from Portugal

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! I love your waterwheel, it looks fantastic.

Where in Portugal are you? My Dad lives in Carvoeiro in the Algarve - it's a beautiful part of the world :)
I live in center of Portugal, Algarve is located in south region, yes, It is a very nice place

Reaction score
It should; it's a red-eared slider, the most common turtle in the pet trade, and now banned in a number of countries because too many ignorant owners have "set them free" when they got too large.
John
In Portugal the selling of this kind of turtles was forbidden, once people dropped them in rivers, and then they destroyed a lot of ecossystems

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see a lot of turtles setting on rocks down on the Dan river here ,they love to sun themselves .There are a lot of rocks in the middle that stick up out of the water and sometimes the rocks are crowded with them .

Reaction score
I see a lot of turtles setting on rocks down on the Dan river here ,they love to sun themselves .There are a lot of rocks in the middle that stick up out of the water and sometimes the rocks are crowded with them .
In south of Portugal, the rivers are infested by tortoises, this is very boring because frequently when do you want fish catfishes you fish a lot of tortoises in your rod

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess that is not good ,but here some people like to eat them .I say yuck

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh my gosh that is great wow love it and the colors are so vibrant .Left me speechless which was a first .NO COMMENTS anyone LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh my gosh that is great wow love it and the colors are so vibrant .Left me speechless which was a first .NO COMMENTS anyone LOL

wow Sissy speechlesssssssssssssssss wow!

Hey guys,
I need a opinion about front wall of the mill house, once the wall is only brick I thought put in the wall a false door or a tile image (something like this: http://images04.olx....-1285704938.jpg,it is quite traditional and we have some beautiful imagesl), what do you think about this?

love that look, that would be great

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmmmm yep speechless it is so pretty remind me of Holland and the Dutch style

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need a opinion about front wall of the mill house, once the wall is only brick I thought put in the wall a false door or a tile image (something like this: http://images04.olx....-1285704938.jpg,it is quite traditional and we have some beautiful imagesl), what do you think about this?

HP,

That is awesome looking! You know what it reminds me of? John Wayne's movie "The Quiet Man" and the cottage that he bought in the movie plot. I love that movie and I love the look of the cottage. Your image is quite similar and I think that it looks great! I give it two thumbs up! :)

Gordy

Reaction score
In south of Portugal, the rivers are infested by tortoises, this is very boring because frequently when do you want fish catfishes you fish a lot of tortoises in your rod

HP, I would love to have you as a guest here in Nebraska, USA for a CATFISHING excursion! We don't have the HUGE Wels catfish here, but we have some native species that are a lot of fun to catch! They might get up to 80-100 lbs, but we generally catch the 5 - 50 pounders.

We also have turtle problems while fishing. They are "bait bandits" and they are damned good at stealing your bait not to mention tangling your fishing lines. You stated "tortoises" but you have that terminology wrong as tortoises are land "turtles", not aquatic specimens. That might just be a language translation thing, but in the states, a tortoise is a land dwelling turtle and a turtle is the aquatic version.

I think I asked you, but I didn't see you reply... Do you fish for the big Wels Catfish there in Portugal? I think that they would be a lot of fun! Lots of folks here in North America are after Bass and Walleye, Trout and Bluegill. But, I am a sport fisherman and enjoy the challenge of a HUGE catch. Those other gamefish are boring to me. Catfish and carp are the fish to catch here because you have to FIGHT them to get them in. Catfish are very elusive, too. You have to be extremely patient in order to catch one. Once they are on the hook, hold on tight because they can be like ocean fishing! Pound for pound, a catfish is much stronger than any other freshwater fish, except maybe the carp, but the carp wears down quick, Carp are sprinters, catfish are long distance runners. I have seen guys try to stop a catfish on the run and they put their thumbs on the line spool to serve as the drag and the catfish ran so fast that it took out all of their line and wore their skin down to the bone! Literally, right down to the bone. A brown or rainbow trout won't do that, neither will a bass, even a record sized one.

If you want to have fun, go out fishing for carp, catfish, sturgeon and drum. Catfishing vs Bass fishing is like comparing American Pro Football to Golf. If you like high intensity contact sports, you'll like catfishing. If you like sitting on the couch watching tennis or golf, then bass fishing would appeal to you more. Seriously, there is that much of a difference.

Not many people realize this. Many think that catfish are trash fish, bottom feeders and dirty. But, it is quite the opposite. Catfish are higher on the food chain than bass. Catfish eat Bass for snacks. Catfish are at the top of the predator level and top of the food chain overall. They are the sharks of the freshwater rivers and they get BIG! Tie into a 16 pounder and you will enjoy the fight, tie into a 45-65 pounder and you will always remember the fight.

The nicest thing about catfishing is that you can relax and enjoy the world while you wait for a fish to come along and eat your bait. You take a cooler full of beer and a good friend along. Sit in the warm sun and talk about life while you wait for the fishes to get hungry and take your bait. You can fish alone, if your mind is independent. Fish with one friend if you are quiet.

It's not so much of a survival practice, it is a social and religious experience. It can even be an escape from the dulldrums of life. A time to dream, fantasize or even develop your mind. You will enjoy the free time to take a pause and get to know yourself and your friends or more importantly, when alone, to learn about God. To converse with God. I do so when I am alone in the outdoors.

I and everyone else needs work on our religious and spiritual matters. My way of seeking this is to go out catfishing. It's slow, so it allows me time to think and to ponder life. Hope you give catfishing a try from time to time. It is worth the time spent.

Gordy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome HParreiras! Very pretty wheel you have there! and catfishnut that crawdad is gorgeous and where did you find them minnows? I'm in nebraska and haven't ever seen one like that!

Reaction score
Rebel,

I catch these Red Horse Shiners from the Platte River near Fremont, where our family cabin is located. They are common, but they aren't as pretty all year long, only during their mating season when the water is just right. Other times of the year, they just look bland like other minnows, so you have to look closely at them to identify them. They (at least the males) always have the red tipped fins. The bright blue coloration on their bodies comes out during mating. In an aquarium, if the lighting, the water chemistry and temperature and the backdrop or habitat colors are selected appropriately and their diet is good, they can become beautiful fish!

I catch them with a standard fisherman's minnow trap (with the conical inward facing screens) or we seine them up in a 6 - 8 - 10 foot net.

It's amazing how beautiful the native fish can be. Not to mention cheap! Most of the neatest ones are small in size, so they look best in an aquarium, where you can view them close up.

Gordy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have found some pumpkin fish while out bait fishing for bluegill not far from here and the males are really pretty when ticked off as they are a deep orange I thought about catching some and stickin them in my pond with the gold fish I have, but haven't as of yet. Transfering fish in nebraska is a no-no :eek: :D but...so I'll probably just stick with the goldies I save from the local bait shop lol. I hope they have some like the ones I got last yr again as they were huge and white/gold. Lost my white one as "something" got him when I took out my plants from the pond (and if I catch that something doing that again it will be their last time!).

Ask a Question