Hi from SE Oklahoma

Reaction score
A few years ago, my wife and I were standing in the front yard and I looked at her and said, "I'm going to dig a pond right here". She gave me a weird look and went into the house Fortunately, she let me in too...we discussed it and agreed to do it.

I bought a liner and pump from Ebay and started digging. We were able to get rocks from a local quarry for $5 a pickup load and about 3 days later we had a pond...not much of one, but we had a pond. :razz:

We've had problems with algae, snakes, too many fish, disappearing fish, dead plants and too many plants. Finally, after finding solutions for all of those we are able to spend less time maintaining it and are able to enjoy it more. Of course, the maintenance never ends and we are forever changing things.

I never was happy with the waterfall flow and I pulled the 925 GPH pump last week and replaced it with a 3500 GPH one. I found this forum while searching for DIY ideas for a weir. I also saw a waterfall diffuser that looked great, but was expensive, so I built my own out of PVC and it's working great.

...and that's about it so far.

Martin

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and nice video. Can you slow down how fast the words scroll at the beginning, I had to pause it to catch everything. Waterfall looks good and you have some good flow now with your new pump.

Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry about the fast scrolling. I had to post a note on YouTube saying you might have to pause the video. When editing the vid, the more I slowed it down the larger the blank interval between it and the next portion became.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif
ignatz
Nice diy diffuser and love that waterfall flow and sound of it coming over your rocks down into the water. Perfect fitting rocks for it too!

Reaction score
Thank you, at least we can hear it when we sitting in the arbor. It seems to have helped with the water temp too. We were having to shade the pond with a patio umbrella with this heat wave, but doesn't seem necessary now.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WELCOME TO OUR PLACE TO PONDER OUR PONDS AND PEOPLES PONDING PROBLEMS....SAY THAT 3 TIMES FAST!!!....LOL.....

AND THAT WATERFALL DIFFUSER IS CLEVER... I THOUGHT ABOUT DOING ONE SIMILAR BUT "DREMEL"ING OUT A SLOT AND USING 3" PVC

Reaction score
Thanks...that's quite a tongue twister. I've been toying with the idea of putting a tee on the inlet hose and adding a smaller diffuser at a lower level.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif

Welcome, great job, love the waterfall. Very clever diffuser.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats a great idea you had there with the pipe for the waterfall I may have to steal it

Ask a Question