Hi from the south coast of the UK

Reaction score
Hi

I have a small 1000 litre garden pond in which the half dozen fish have been successful surviving in a green pea soup for some time. Now I've decided to replace the old defunct filter and following a good clean out, now have a Green Genie 3000 up and running. I have a question re the UV lamp, which is enclosed in a housing in the lid. I read that you can check the lamp is working - obviously you shouldn't look at it - by holding a piece of white paper up to the water inlet hole ! Well, as far as I can tell, it makes no difference if the lamp is swtched on or off. Should this test be down in the dark or at least dusk. I'd really hate the water to go green again.

Cheers
Andy C

Reaction score

I've answered my own question ! Feeling a bit lazy for not checking further, I dismantled the filter box and one of the connectors had fallen off the lamp, probably in transit. I reconnected it and now the blue glow can clearly be seen on a piece of paper, held at the water inlet. Hopefully the water will now clear over the next few days. Perhaps this can help someone else, sometime.

Cheers
Andy C

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif
to our group

Glad you fixed it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thwelcome-1.gif
Andy
Good you know it works now and off w/ the heads of the little algae buggers :razz:

Reaction score
welcome and hope your algae goes away

Well just to tidy up the thread, it's been close on four weeks now and the pond is crystal clear and the fish are clearly loving their new found freedom to dash around. The filter is working well collecting the algae on the foam filters and I think I'll have to clean them about every two months. Well pleased.

Reaction score
Great! :) we would love to see pictures of your hard work Andy!

Only a month ago, we cleaned it all out and cut back the plants. Also it's covered with with wire netting because we have three young children next door and an insecure fence - their fault ! Maybe in the Spring, when it's all recovered a bit, I'll remove the wire and take a picture or two. It's not THAT special, just an L-shaped preformed liner, but we like it ! :)

ATB

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looking forward to pix and your pond is very special especially to you and that's what counts :D

Ask a Question