Hi from Utah

Reaction score
I have recently started to enter into the world of garden ponds. I have a small 65 gallon pre-formed pond with a waterfall. I have 16 goldfish and 3 algae eaters. I have 4 water hyacinth, 1 water arum, 1 parrot feather and 1 iris Lousiana( cherry blossum) for plants. The pond gets morning and early evening sun. During the heat of the day it is shaded. I am having problems with the ph level. I have been testing and it is over the 9 level. I have added 2 tsps the first attempt to lower the level and it didn't help. Yesterday, I started to switch out the water. I took 10 gallons and lowered the ph level in the 10 gallons to 6.5 and then vacuumed out 10 gallons of pond water that is getting pretty green. I cleaned the filter on the pump also. I tested the ph level this morning and it was still above 9. Today I plan on switching out 20 gallons of water in hopes of neutralizing the ph level in the pond. I am concerned about shocking the fish, so far they are doing okay. There is no concrete or landscape blocks in contact with the water, only rock around the outside of the pond that cannot leak into it. I have ordered these products to help clear the water and are wondering if anyone else has used them or should I not use these: PondMarket Sheer Clear Pond Clarifier & PondCare Accu-Clear I would appreciate any and all information that you can give me. :confused:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowrs6.gif
Fisher1amy

Have you tested the water coming out your tap or well? I just put oyster shells in my pond to help keep the ph at 7 or so. Need to check tho and see if it's working :confused:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With a pond this small, do not add any more fish, turtles, frogs etc. Think about where your next (larger) pond is going.

Reaction score
I have tested the water coming out of the tap and it is also above 9. I am using vinegar to lower the ph level of the water that I am replacing in the pond in hopes of stablizing the ph. Will oyster shells help lower the ph and how often or many would you recommend I use?

Reaction score
Thank you, I have read a few of these articles on the forum, which gave me the idea to use vinegar to lower the ph level. I appreciate the help.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! :confused: Try catching Rain water and see if it is a lower PH. it usually is acidic to neutral in PH. I don't recommend using shingle run off but fiberglass and metal roof run of should be fine, If possible throw away the first few minutes worth as this will have all the dust and debris from the roof. You can always use a small swimming pool to catch rain water too. This doesn't work well for large ponds due to how much needs to be caught to do a water change. but small ponds work great. Also have the oyster shell on standby, once you get the PH where you feel comfortable then add the oyster shell as this will usually lock in the PH where you want it.

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion of rain water, but we only get 11" of rain a year, so that might be a challenge all on its own. I will get some oyster shell. How much would you recommend for a pond my size? The 20 gallons of replacement water tested just 7.2 after 1 hour of replacement. I will check it again in the morning to see how it is doing? What are your recommendations on an aerator? We have one that works with the waterfall, not sure if I should run that or not. I have been running it the last 2 days. Also curious if I should run the pump( waterfall & aerator) 24/7 or turn off during the night time hours?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Run something 24/7, preferably what ever has a filter? Aerator will not hurt and can help in most cases. oyster shell for your pond, ? A cup or two in a nylon stocking or similar type stocking that water can flow through. Most of us place it where there is a good flow of water to help the oyster shell slowly breakdown.
BTW, I'm afraid you are overstocked in this small of a pond. In a 65 gallon I wouldn't have any more than three or four gold fish. In my 30 and 40 gallons I have three or four mollies or rosy barbs.

Reaction score
Thanks, I have 5 - 2.5" goldfish and the others are about 1" (babies), but it is good information to have. Where is a good place to purchase oyster shells?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
any place that sells chicken feed, feed and seed center, Co-op, Tractor supply are the best choises to find it here. they sell it as chicken grit.

Reaction score
I Thank you and my fish Thank you for all your suggestions and help. Tomorrow is looking more promising already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi fisher1amy, welcome! Actually as your pond settles in your ph will lower by itself with the plants that you added. Goldfish do fine in higher ph's and there is nothing to be concerned about. The real problem you are going to have is your pond is way over stocked with fish even before they start growing. It is going to be very difficult to maintain it with all the fish you have. The recommended bio load would be about 5-10 inches of smaller type fish per 100 gallons. At 19 fish for 65 gallons it is way overcrowded. You should leave your pump, filter, and airstone running 24/7.

Ask a Question