Hi guys

Reaction score
lol thanks. I think I got the ok to build a new pond at my girlfriend's house. The 20k gal is astronomically expensive to run, so, i think i talked them into building a smaller, 100-200gal pond, perhaps a little bigger depending on how much backwork I want to put into it, lol. I'll try to get some pictures up of their dry pond here in the next few days, there's plenty of room to build a smaller one as well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry this happened and hope your fish in the aquariums like their new home in their new pond. Very pretty fish and hope to see pics of your new pond build. If those are Koi you might want to make the pond bigger than a couple 100 gals. They will need lots of room to grow and you know they get huge. I have a pond that's 2500 gals and I think it would even be too small for but a couple Koi. I just have goldies so all is well :fish:

Reaction score
j.w said:
Sorry this happened and hope your fish in the aquariums like their new home in their new pond. Very pretty fish and hope to see pics of your new pond build. If those are Koi you might want to make the pond bigger than a couple 100 gals. They will need lots of room to grow and you know they get huge. I have a pond that's 2500 gals and I think it would even be too small for but a couple Koi. I just have goldies so all is well :fish:

I will consider the information, thanks :) My girlfriend's uncle has a long established koi pond at his house, going on 20+ years with it now. If i can't make a suitable pond for my little buddies, he already said he'd take the donations lol. Hopefully i can get my 75 gal tank set up soon and transfer them into there, so at least i can keep them here for a while longer. I will be doing plenty of research before i take on the project, I tend to obsess over things before i undertake them. Luckily, there's plenty of reading material here on the forum, and i llike to read :). I don't plan on having a huge amount of fish in the pond, so if i have to limit myself to just a couple koi, i would be ok with that.

Reaction score
Welcome Joe....I just joined also and so far am very pleased. Wow what a shame to loose all those fish to stupid foolery...15,000gals that is one HUGE pond. So nice of you to replace the fish. Yes would love to see pics of the pond and the original fish...and the new ones.

Reaction score
From speaking with my girlfriend, i guess the main reason they haven't refilled the pond is the mosquitos. I'd assume there could be some pond fish that would help with that. Any suggestions as far as fish that would be ok with koi and eat the bugs?

Picture of Uncle's pond... well, of some of the fish anyway:

imagejpeg_3_3.jpg

Reaction score
That may have been what was going on then. Thanks Dave. I'm still waiting on the ok for the mini pond at the girlfriends house, but she's pretty sure they won't have a problem with it, esp if i foot the bill lol. My fish seem to recognize me now, they don't get scared and swim to the corner of the tank anymore when i walk into the room lol. Perhaps they'll get to the point where i can hand feed them.... maybe someday i guess?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep it will happen, esp with koi. I have had goldies eat out of my fingers at my other pond.

Even a good air stone making water ripples keeps them from laying their eggs cmndrjoe. Their favorite water is still, warm, dirty water to breed in. They love tires laying around collecting rain water

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Seeing your in california, If your in a region where the water won't freeze you can put a few mollies in with your goldfish and koi. they love eating any kind of little bugs they can eat, they love the salt needed for goldfish and koi and they don't get aggressive, some of the young will get eaten by the Koi but that just keeps the #'s in check. iI love the new white's and dalamtions, they show up really good and the males will actually dance when they compete for females. As for the mosquitos, almost any fish and water movement will keep mosquitos from breeding in your pond, but there are plenty of other bugs that like the water just as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Joe, Welcome and good luck with your project. Also you may want to check out the Koi and fish talk post. There is an auctioneer trying to get rid of 70 fish in Northern California. It might be worth the drive to check them out.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Keith, I will check them out, although if he's trying to get rid of them soon, I may not have the room for them.

Update on the pond info, I guess my girlfriend's dad has been wanting to get the pond up and running again, but he's talking about partially filling in the current pond and just adding a liner, and using the existing waterfall with a new pump hooked up to it. If that's the case, i'll be able to have a few more fish. I'm going to try and get out to her house soon and snap some pictures for y'all. It's big enough to skateboard in, lol, so it will take alot of dirt to even partially fill it. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me this summer. They're just worried about the bugs, so i will look into some mollies like Fishin' suggested. I'll have some more info in the next day or so. I'm looking foward to it :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I cannot even imagine why one would want to make a big pond smaller. It's usually the case of all us pond nuts wanting to go bigger and better. The fish love more room and actually it's easier to keep a bigger ponds water quality better than a smaller one. :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I cannot even imagine why one would want to make a big pond smaller. It's usually the case of all us pond nuts wanting to go bigger and better. The fish love more room and actually it's easier to keep a bigger ponds water quality better than a smaller one. :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree jw, wonder why?

Reaction score
15,000 gal is why. They can't afford to run it all the time anymore, and the maintenance required is too much now (girlfriend's dad just had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor, is going to be starting chemotherapy next week, he's going to be unable to do any sort of anything for a while). I don't mind maintaining a pond that big, not at all, but, they don't want to foot the bill and i can't afford it lol. At least since i'm filling it in with dirt, if they want to return it to the original size, it's possible. The pond itself is divided into 2 sections, and it won't take much to downsize it and get it up and running.

Ask a Question