Hi, I am new at my pond hobby with a question about Water Lettuce

Susanna

Newbie Water Gardener and Fish Keeper
Reaction score
My Introduction:
I have about a 3000 gallon, rectangular, vinyl lined pond that was 5 years old before I became interested in it. It's under a few trees, mostly pine trees and had one lone water lily in it that my husband planted in an attempt to interest me a few years ago.
So, I began last year with a pond full of frogs and a water lily in need of some plant food, plus it was rather full of debris from years of tree stuff falling into it - but surprisingly clear.
I'd had an aquarium years ago and missed seeing the fish. After getting some more lilies planted and established last year, I began this summer with 3, 3" goldfish. After introducing them to the pond, I never saw them again! This was in March. By June, I thought they'd died so I put in 4 more, this time feeding them regularly whether I saw them or not. The feeding seemed to bring them all out after a week or so, giving me a lot of pleasure seeing goldfish again in a pretty water environment instead of an aquarium! By this time, I've added 4 more, 2 of which I still do not see often at all. My pond is covered about 60 percent with water lettuce (which I have to throw out every few weeks) and a huge water lily from years ago plus the smaller ones I just added this year and last. I have to assume the mystery fish are hiding there since they've not floated to the surface or showed up outside of the pond.

I thoroughly enjoy sitting on a bench beside my pond and watching the goldfish swim around and play. (I am retired and am not able to do the heavy vegetable gardening I'd done up until 2010.)

I came to this forum originally with a question regarding my water lettuce and whether it would live through our winters here in the Charlotte. NC area. (northern rural portion of the county, zone 7B)

This forum and this society seems to fit perfectly with my new hobby.

Enough for my introduction.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and pines are very acidic so surprised the fish are OK with that .For your water lily just get jobes .I live 15 minutes from the NC border and we have lots of pines here that the developer took down before I bought the lots in 2003 but they left me nothing but acidic soil .30+ trees later and lots of lime I have something .I hope you got the gunk out of the bottom .That is as easy as using just a pool net

Attachments

• pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 304

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to our little group! So glad to hear that you are enjoying your pond -- it's such a good hobby, and it keeps me outdoors [which translates to, the inside of our house is a mess].

About Water Lettuce, it's pretty much considered an annual plant, so you'll have to get new ones in the spring. I think some on here have tried to to over-winter it [and Water Hyacinth], but it was more work than it was worth. I am in zone 8, and mine doesn't make it.

I hope your fish are still there. They do have a habit of hiding, but sounds like you've got a lot of cover for them. Sometimes predators can get the fish -- have you ever seen Great Blue Herons around? But again, having lots of cover is another way to deter predators and gives them [the fish] places to hide.

We usually recommend quarantining any new fish you get [keeping them in a separate tank] for about 4 weeks before adding them to the pond, so they don't transmit diseases, but don't know if that's something you would want to do. As an alternative, you might want to invest in 3 or 4 larger goldfish [or more], maybe in the 5"-6" range, and hope that you've got boys & girls -- they will multiply and soon you'll have a lot more and you won't have to worry about quarantining them :), 'cause they will have lived in your pond environment their whole lives. You have a nice-sized pond, so with good filtration, you can go a while without having to give extra fish away if you end up with too many.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
welcome! I live in NC too:)
Water lettuce didn't over winter for me here neither.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh Susanna don't you cry for me... ok I'm sorry but as soon as I seen your name that old tune popped in my head. Welcome to the forums, as a newcomer here myself, you can read for an entire evening and pick up so much information. There's a lot of great folks here!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can over winter them in an old fish tank concrete mixing tub or like my neighbor her spare bath room bath tub with a grow light .crazy huh .I over wintered them in my basement in a concrete mixing tub for 5 years ,but the year my hubby had his heart attack I neglected them and they died .:(

Susanna

Newbie Water Gardener and Fish Keeper
Reaction score
Thanks all, for the good information and some good laughs, too! I like this forum, I can tell. Ya'll are all like me in that you love your ponds and your wildlife in and out of the pond.
My pine trees are about 1/3 of the trees across our (1 acre) backyard and the rest just Sweet Gums, Redbuds, cedars and oaks with a couple of dogwoods - such typical North Carolina piedmont yards if you are lucky enough to have had a builder who left you some trees. I planted 4 Crape Myrtles near the pond about four years ago. Rest of the lot is just non-evergreen trees and hardwoods in the front of the house in the "natural area". One side of the lot is a grown-over meadow and the other Leylands down the property line, then our neighbors lovely house and gardens. These days I spend more of my time sitting on the bench next to the pond, which is shaded half the day or more, instead of working and planting in the yard. Working in the house? Well, lets just say I don't do as much as I probably should with keeping it tidy. I love the outdoors, don't you?
So, the 1/3 pine trees/cedars hopefully don't throw too much acid in the pond. I add fresh (well) water to raise the level up to the edge about twice a month through most of the year except the worst of winter months.
I have no electricity yet and just use solar aerators and little floating fountains for where the sun shines half the day in summer on the pond area.
Again, thanks for all the replies! So nice.
Hope to see you again soon.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to be outdoors or building something to be happy .A couple of years ago I was lucky I came home when I did because a logger had started to take down trees on my lots even though it was clearly marked .They are logging every where here .Just came in clouds are rolling in again and stained most of the stuff under the carport and fixed broken parts .Most here seem to mow there grass to the dirt and not much attention to planting things or making it pretty .The house and yards are neat and clean but have a lack of curb appeal .It sounds like you are really enjoying the whole idea of ponding and glad you find it relaxing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There is a slight chance water lettuce seed will survive and spring up in Summer, otherwise winter freezes and thaws are very effective at turning water lettuce to mush.

Someone is bound to list water lettuce locally on Craigslist, which is easier than Wintering them for five months or so. It is a delicate plant so get it shipped when the forecast is mild

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question