Hi I am new here...

Reaction score
Don't know what to say except, I'm here because I think I need help. A couple of days ago, I did a big water change and apparently didn't put in enough dechlor because the next day all the goldfish were dead...10 of them. Kind of sad because some of them were quite large and pretty. Thought I would start over and cleaned out the pond, filter and dechlorinated the water and bought some fish at my local Wal-Mart. They are pretty, one yellow and white and another red and white. Here they are in the bag. The picture isn't too good because they wouldn't hold still for the picture. :) Is there anything else I should do since they are the first fish since I cleaned the pond out? The pond is about 300 gallons so they seem lost in all that water.

Thanks, Charlie

Attachments

• TwoKoi.jpg
    TwoKoi.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 212

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
Welcome to the forum! Sorry for your loss. Do you have a water testing kit? That would help determine why your fish died. You can also test your current water to see the water condition.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

@John, I have used a dip stick test kit that shows, pH, KH, GH, Nitrates and Nitrites but haven't used them for quite a while and no chlorine/chloramines. I can usually 'tell' what the water is like but looks like I need to keep a better eye on the parameters or pay attention to what I'm doing.

@Sissy, I'm in Chesapeake, the Hampton Roads area. I don't think it was the water temp because some would have surely survived. I just dumped the rest of a bottle of dechlor without measuring it thinking it had to have enough for about 200 gallons but apparently not.

@Kristi, I first registered at Koiphen since it popped up in the Google list first and am still waiting for a right to post...good thing I didn't have sick fish that needed immediate attention! You all are great already!

Thank you Addy1!
Charlie

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my brother lives Chesapeake and works for norfolk southern railroad now .Get a liquid test kit i got api at pet mountain .com it is much better with the liquid one ..They have free shipping at 49 dollars and I get my activated charcoal there too

Reaction score
i agree with sissy was prolly more of the change in temp unless u have so really high chlorine in your water i often fill my pond with a hose with no dechlor whatsoever when it needs topped off and never had any problems and i have city water

Reaction score
Welcome :wave: great to have you here! Sorry about your loss :( that's a bummer
I just noticed less fish in my small pond yesterday, so I took a closer look. :( something got three of my fancytails :(
They were nice size too 3-4"
Just curious? Why were you doing a water change this close to winter?

Reaction score
@Dave, I'm pretty sure it wasn't water temperature change since the pond temp and faucet temp should have been about the same....air temp was high 60s. We have chloramines, so it does not dissipate like regular chlorine. For small water changes, it should be fine but not for major water changes.

@Windy but pleasant, I do major clean outs in the fall and then in the spring. That way the leaves and gunk gets cleaned out and they are ready for the winter and I don't need to do to much for them in the winter time except let them rest. It's the way I have done it every year. Some of my goldfish were 8-10" long.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know here we can get free reports from the county on our water .We just take samples of the well water to the county office in Chatham and they test your well water .Maybe there they have a report on what they add to your water .I have a whole house filter it was well worth the cost and I installed it myself .I bought it at lowes .It self flushes itself.I think addy has the same one .I did add a settlement chamber to mine that was extra

Ask a Question