Hi, I'm new, and I need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
1) How long does a typical pump last.. (one that was installed for a pond of about 40 lbs,..pumped up to a small waterfall feature approx 2 feet above the pump)
.... Bit the dust after 2 years of moving in, and today I'm deciding to replace it.. didn't want to tinker with it, but I know the outlet is good, must have just been an old pump... I hope...

2) How to deal with Algae, yet keep my goldfish safe? ...( I NEVER had algae until I brought home a nice lily plant from my Uncle, and not only did the algae come and spread like wildfire, SO did the lily! ugggggh, big mistake)
--Right now I have most of the water out, the fish in a 10-gallon tank, and hoping that having it dry out will kill it?
But I know it'll come back if it's not ALL dead, and I wonder if there are Fish-Safe Solutions (That aren't too pricey)

3) I FORGOT what three is, but I hope you can help me out! THANKS in Advance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and pumps that work harder sometimes last less time .Size of hose and brand name of pump would help .I bought laguna pumps worth the extra money .But i have small harbor freight pumps that are 10 years old and still working .Algae means you are feeding it by over feeding fish .Do you have a test kit

Reaction score
Country
United States
no test kit.. Gonna have to say that I probably don't feed them enough haha.
But anyway, I NEVER had an issue until I 'brought in the plant from Uncle's pond'-- then all hell broke loose.
So the pump, I had to cut away and put in the trash.. I'll fish it out tonight ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always quarantine plants just like any thing else that goes in my pond .I clean all the dirt off the roots and then clean it better by dipping the roots in peroxide and water than it goes in water with some miracle grow and sits there for a week or 2 and i inspect roots often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
How long does a pump last? Well the one that I now need to replace is 25 yrs old! Does it still work? Yes, but not as efficiently as it did 25 yrs ago, obviously. Time for a drastic replacement methinks! Have ordered a new pump, uv and pressurised filter for my pond as the inhabitants have grown rather alarmingly and need a system that can cope much better than my old one. It should all arrive tomorrow :))
I have no idea what make the old pump is but will check when it reappears from the depths. It has full marks for never missing a beat 365 days a year for the past 25........do you think that could that be a record? Maybe worth me contacting the manufacturer to mention this fact.

Ask a Question