Hi, Leonard retired machinist building my first pond W/waterfall in DFW area it is14x8 with 6x6 nook

do i need two pumps one for bd and one for skimmer

• any advice helpful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • need help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to filter falls and I have always used 2 pumps this way if 1 goes out I do not have to panic .I do not have a bd or skimmer no need for them .pond is about 3600 or so gallons

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
chalkboard.gif
to our group!

I don't have a bottom drain,I do draw water from the bottom of the pond. I use one pump, with a T, the skimmer line has a ball valve on it to reduce the flow depending on the time of year.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You should be able to draw from both sources with one pump just use a Y or a T put a ball valve on them to reduce the flow from either one like Addy does. If you do this I would only partially close one ball valve not both at the same time as you don't want to restrict your flow this way and do harm to your pump.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
leanord
No bottom drain here. Just one 2400 gph pump to my falls. Pond is about 2400 gals.

Reaction score
Welcome Leanord! I only have one pump, 3600 gph that sits in my skimmer and then also pumps water up about a 10 ft. hill to my waterfall. I don't have a bottom drain.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, and that has to be the longest title I've ever seen, ;)

I have one pump, 3600 gph in my approx 3000 gal pond. No BD and no skimmer. I have my line split and run water to 2 areas from one pump. Have a y with ball valves. No problems so far, but there is wisdom in running more than one pump -- in case one fails and you're not there to catch it....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I run 2 pumps, the first for the stream/waterfall that is housed in the skimmer with a 16" weir. The second pump is for 2 additional bio filters, that one is in the pond with a pre filter. I do not have a BD but use a pond vac when needed. my pond is about 3500 gals. I also run aeration year round.

Ask a Question