Hi...New to your forum

Reaction score
Hi all
New here but not to ponds or forums. Looking for someplace new with maybe a smaller friendly feel.
I live in the state of WI. We put in our first pond 7 yrs ago, we now have 5. All our ponds have been DIY. Our first pond was put in the summer of 2004...is mainly Koi, but I do have a few male goldfish in there this pond is odd shaped (kind of kidney) and maybe at the narrowest 12' wide and 24' long about 2500 gals, we have a pump in the skimmer that feeds up to a small upper pond about 100gals and is used as a nursery/Qt and limited veggie filter, it gravitates the water back down through the waterfall of the koi pond.

Next we built a Lily/goldfish pond in the spring of 2007. it is about 13'x18' with a 10' channel that makes it look kind of like it is attatched to the koi pond, it is also about 2500gals. I now have about 30 named variety of lilies (maybe more).

In 2009 I put in a Lotus pond, not big...about 6'x4', it has one large unknown white lotus in it, my other lotus are in pots which I have to take in for the winter, this year I may try to overwinter one in the lily pond.

Last year I was given a medium size preform from my daughters neighbor, they no longer wanted it, so I put this one in the front for a little white noise, mainly plants, but I did put in a few goldfish fry.

I am also an avid gardner, with large gardens around all ponds and throughout the yard, front, back and sides. When not gardening or ponding, I enjoy spending my time with family, I have 4 kids and 6 grandkids most live out of state :lol: so I don't get to see them often.

Looking forward to navigating the forum and learning new things, because there is always things to learn.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome670.jpg

We try to be friendly, everybody has different opinions on what to do, but we all understand not all ponds are the same.

Glad you joined!

My all grass yard is slowly been converted to ponds and gardens.............less mowing

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard Maria, sounds like you got a serious case of water gardening bug. That's ok, it's contagious, doesn't re-act well to most medications, can cause a relaxing state of mind and helps to calm down Grandkids well. I recommend sitting outside, drinking a nice cup of coffee or hot tea and taking a few pics to share. Might not heal the bug but it will spread a little more of the bug around! LOL Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have, Some really friendly folks here and a lot of good information to be found.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Marla, good to have you here!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi marla geeze you really have a big variety of ponds .Lotus pond seems interesting can't wait for you to post some pics.never saw a lotus pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you are one busy bee marla could you send me some of your energy I need it badly .Can't wait now to see your pics as I have my old preform and thinking of useing like you did

Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcome
fishin4cars...calming down the grandkids I wish...the first place they go is the pond but not to calm down, but to hunt and catch frogs...had to get them some new nets cause last weekend they put holes in my long handled fish net catching frogs.

Sissy and all I will try to get some pics up soon...I love sharing them and LOVE looking at others. I have so many will

Reaction score
Malak said:
Welcome. I made a net by simply sticking the handle of an aquarium net into a long piece of 1/2" PVC. Much cheaper. :-D

Malak great idea for smaller fish, but this was the net I use on my large koi, some are 20" and heavy. But that might work for me to do as my big ones are gettting to heavy for the handle on this net.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried the pillow case like they said on here works great the dumb fish just swam right into it when he was chased by the net dummy I got you:lol::fish::lol:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hey Marla...you wouldnt by chance be Marla F.G from the watergardening and Koi/Goldfish ponds page on facebook would you?

Ask a Question