Hi , Question on shutting pump down ??

Reaction score
I have just made a account on here and been browsing threw previous post , i am extremely new to running a pond and no the very very basics . I have a 2600Litre pond with a 5000pump and 10000filter running on a little waterfall feature .I Live just outside of manchester, england and we are currently in a very cold snap been -16 during nights and -1 highs in the day time . i had no idea about this turning pump off business in the winter the waterfall has maintained a 10inch hole in the pond so i thiught that would be enough for the 9 gold fish i currently stock to get oxygen . any advice on basic pond running during the cold months .

thanks any advice would be a massive help

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
hi sharpy i too live in the UK down here in Essex, not quite as cold as you my worry is the waterfall might Freeze and divert the water from your pond ..any chance to can run a hose from your filter and by pass the waterfall ? or perhaps turn it all off and just use a pond deicer to keep a hole in the ice

Reaction score
Just been in the car and sure enough -16.5 its pure rank haha , I'm pretty sure work will be called off again tomorrow so if this is the case ill get down to the local aquatics centre and look into these deicers , what should I expect pay? I need re-hose the filter regardless got a drip so I wouldn't mind shutting it down . Got 15 inch of snow contend with here aswell .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not gone through a bad winter with a pond yet, but my hubby had a very small pond at a rental that had goldies in it. They were hidden by a piece of wood. When he found it they were doing just fine, been ignored for 2-3 years winter and summer. Goldies tend to be pretty hardy. A guy I know in penna. has a pond with goldies and shubunkins in it, he lets his freeze over, the fish always do fine.
so you may be just fine leaving it be.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've heard some people throw a floating piece of wood or a basketball in the pond and for some reason it helps w/ gas escaping. Never tried it myself as no need to here :twisted:

Reaction score
thanks for the replies , us brits arnt used to this weather so the country pretty much grounds to a holt . the plan is to intoduce koi and a couple of sturgeon n the spring so i'll need get a heater or something sorted for next winter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah been watching the news, you all are getting pounded, sort of like we got pounded last year. Spring will come lol

Reaction score
yeah its been horrible for 4 weeks all ready and we've been told expect it for another month minimum. ponds under like 5 inch of ice so going take a good while for that lot to thaw!! quick question on how do i upload photos on here ...photobucket ok?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
sorry cant suggest a good deicer as i dont use one, if you have an airpump you could use that to keep an hole open ... if your going to get koi and sturgens next year might be a good idea to cover pond if you can ...there are lots of homemade ones on this site :0)

Reaction score
cover the pond ? are we talking like a lid or something like a clear sheet of plastic/contiboard the fish need sunlight to get certain vitimins right?? ive been told such a ammunt of stuff since building my pond i cant keep up with half of it

Ask a Question