Hi there from Chicago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Hi there... I've been lurking here for a few months. This is my first year dealing with a pond--we bought a new house in October, so I'm currently dealing with the OMG winter panic of the pond freezing over. :) It is super-cold here in Chicago today--we have another 3 days or so of this extreme weather, so it's keeping me busy.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! I know how you feel. I live just north of you and it is COLD!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome! It's cold here in Cincinnati too. I've got a pond breather, de icer and some air stones, in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and it would helps us to know how to help you if we knew more like depth and how many fish and how big the pond is and what type of pump internal or external .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
We have a pump that is submersed inside the skimmer box (as far as I can tell). Technically I guess it's external, but it's still submersed in water. The water returns to the pond via waterfall. The previous owner of the house said the pond is about 650-750 gallons. I'm thinking it is maybe 2-3" deep in the deepest area. We have 3 koi that are all a little over a foot long. They used to have 5 or 6 but they gave some away before they moved out.

The previous owner's guidance: He left the waterfall running all last winter and the pond was fine (and we had one the roughest, coldest, snowiest winters in recent memory last year). He said just keep an eye on the ice that forms on and around the fall so it doesn't create an ice dam. He also left two pond de-icers (those red floating disc ones that are about 1500 watts) he said to put in the water near the skimmer box to keep things thawed out. We had both of those in, but one wasn't working at all, so we are trying out a 100-watt one we bought this week.

So that's where we are at this point. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
actually that is submerged pump and those pond heaters can really raise your electric bill .I have a 250 watt one and my pond is around 5 thousand gallons .I only use it when pond starts to ice up which has not happened yet .The waterfall will be the first to freeze up so that will need to be watched carefully .Sure the pond is that much water as that seems small for the size of those koi .Make sure the pond deicers work because that could be why he left them behind because to be honest with you that is a lot of heat if there were 2 of them .I know colleen in Canada has around that sized pond heaters.I live in VA so sure not extreme weather here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Ohhh yes, they pull a LOT of amps. Eventually we want to expand the pond, so we'll look into other options. The new 100 watt one I bought is very slowly melting its way into the ice build-up, so that one might be able to do the job.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wound go onto one of the pond liner sights and go onto there pond calculator they offer and see what the gallons actually are .I know here at builders discount center rubber roofing for 10 by 25 is 142 dollars and is really the same as pond liner .I had a rubber roofing liner but moles or something chewed through it last winter and had to replace it in march

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I am using a pond breather to survive the winter. Currently the pond is frozen over.

Ask a Question