Hi there!

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for months, but since I broke ground on the pond today, I figured it was time to register and post!

I'm an avid fish keeper, but have always restricted my hobby to aquariums. In the middle of winter, the pond bug suddenly and inexplicably hit me, and I've been planning since then.

My tax return, which I'd assigned to be my "pond fund", finally arrived yesterday, so today I started actual work on the pond.

It's going to be roughly 8 feet by 8 feet, by 4 feet deep in the main pond. 2 feet above ground, and 2 feet below ground. There's going to be a bog garden, second smaller pond (probably around 160g), and waterfall.

The pond will house fancy goldfish (I've already got the fish, they've been in QT in tanks for over a month. I'm sooooo sick of doing water changes and can't wait to get them into bigger digs!). I also have a couple weather loaches I'll be throwing in there. The pond is going to be located against my house, up againts a south-west facing wall. It's partially shaded from late spring through to autumn by a flowering dogwood tree. I'm planning on building a cover of some sort to help keep the water temp up a bit in the winter, but I'm in zone 7b, so I should be fine anyway, as long as I've got a de-icer in there.

Not too worried about herons or 'coons. With the steep sides, and it being partially under cover from the roof (up against the house) plus the tree, herons shouldn't be a big problem. And the dogs (indoor, but go out frequently to potty) keep the coons away from our yard :)

Happy to be here - I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.

I knew this would be a lot of work, but I tell you, my back is killing me! Who knew dirt was so HEAVY?! And I've got loads more digging to do yet!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Funds and a plan, sounds good..Welcome to the forum

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennicabailey

Latest Threads