Hi-u-all from San Antonio Texas

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Bob M. In SA, Tx I just started a new pond in a rubbermaid 100 gal water trough it's 2' deep all around with a 700 GPH pump and a Tetra waterfall filter model # WF1000 just got it put up today added a chlorine remover and some bio boost along with bio balls above the filter pad put in 4 small goldfish and 2 oxygenating plants plan to finish it up tomorrow by backfilling the dirt around the tank and hiding the filter with rocks the waterfall is only about a foot above the water. ph is 8.5 fish act and look fine water is a little cloudy I think it should clear up in a week or so. It very rarely gets below freezing here might get 1 to 3 days below 32 F so what do i do now just wait? before i add more plants I know it's small but only had a small place to place pond that would not be in full sunlight all summer ( no trees in texas) man I would need to go down 5 feet or more otherwise I'll have a fish boil by mid summer. Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone had any ideas or about what kind and how many goldfish and other fish i can try way to small for Koi & about putting in shallow water plants thinking of a upside down plant pot made out of clay or plastic to set the plant on?

Thank You
will post some pics later

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeautumn32.gif
Bob

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome. I'd start going to the gym.. 5 feet isn't really all that far down! Once the pond itch sets in, you'll be planning something bigger!!! LOL That's how it goes now!

For a small 100 gallon I'd look at the dwarf lillies. We had a great little one the put out a ton of peach colored blooms. Had 11 at one time once. "Little Sue" was the variety I think.

Craig

Reaction score
Welcome! :wave:
One of my ponds is that size. Not a whole lot of plants you can put in there, that won't take over the pond anyway :)
As Craig suggested, the dwarf Lilly does well as far as size goes. Although, you said it is in the shade? I have a regular Lilly in there and the shade pretty much keeps it in check lol. Also, I use the grasses that grow straight up, in a small-ish pot. Cat tail rush or corkscrew work great too :)
Sense you don't have a shallow end, as you said, use a pot upside down in the bottom, and if you can find a clay pot that comes a couple inches Below the water line, you can have a small in pond "water garden" lol. Fill the pot 3/4 with plain rinsed cat litter ( non-clumping, no-perfume, PLAIN Clay Kitty Litter ), on top of that put pea gravel, and add the plants! Oh, and as you put the cat litter in put a granulated fertilizer in the middle :D.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you could use quilt batting in a basket with the pump running into it and then going back into the pond

Ask a Question