Hi, we are building a pond new pond using a on a sloping site. The higher end will sit approx 12" higher than the lower end. The site is now level.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20210213_081405724.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! That so a nice start, and you should be sure to start a build thread to keep us updated!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome, mine is built on a slope also, can be bit of work to make it level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. What made you start in winter? Lol, I’m looking out at a winter wonderland, not a good time for starting a pond! But, if things aren’t frozen there, you might be able to get it filled for spring. Please read through other threads on how to cycle a pond if you are new to ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the bug bites yeah there jamie it can bite hard i started my pond build literally the day after x mass was when i rented the first excavator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, in the last 2 days the temps in the uk have gone from minus 15 degrees to plus 12 which it is today, its forecast for plus 17 this weekend !!! me and my fish are very confused ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks great so far!

If you're keeping one side higher, your liner will be exposed there. You can hide that with some stacked stones (within the pond) to make it look more natural and it will also help hold back the soil.

Another idea is to do the opposite. Build up the lower part to the height of the higher section. Essentially your pond will be part underground and part above ground. You can use the soil from your dig to build it up. Or, you can build a wall with concrete blocks along the lower section. Many have done that and hammered in rebar through the voids of the block for strength.
It all depends on how handy you are or how much work you plan to dedicate.

Poke around this forum for ideas and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Also, be aware that you don't want anything bad washing into the pond such as lawn fertilizer. If needed, you can create a small berm of soil around your pond to prevent that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey! I see some type of preform plastic in the background there. That would make a great bog filter!

And yes, it's a bit difficult getting it all level. You want it as level as possible because water will seek it's level and any high spots in your walls will have exposed liner. I use a very cheap line level on a tightly strung thin strong string. It doesn't have to be spot-on perfect, but as close as you can get it.

What we do to hide the transition between water and land is create a very shallow shelf all around the pond. Then stack stones on the shelf. The stones will be partially submerged. Then stack stones partially on them and partially on the ground. You get a natural transition.

Make sure you use a good liner. 45 mil EPDM is the preferred material along with the proper underlayment. You can use other materials for the underlayment, such as carpet padding, carpet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hi guys, in the last 2 days the temps in the uk have gone from minus 15 degrees to plus 12 which it is today, its forecast for plus 17 this weekend !!! me and my fish are very confused ?
I'm willing the bet your talking Celsius . Though this is a forum By a brit most here associate with Fahrenheit. For those you may have got thinking why in the world are they so happy it's 17 degrees out there. 17 c is 62 f

Ask a Question