Hi & Welcome Me

B

Burd

I see the post, I'm asking the admins to put it up. I own & run a car forum, I never take down a video someone puts up about their car, this is about their pond.
How is it spam about a pond? Lmao.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I see the post, I'm asking the admins to put it up. I own & run a car forum, I never take down a video someone puts up about their car, this is about their pond.
Oh, we see lots of spam! If the person is legit, they will understand and be patient. If they are spammers, it gives them the message that “we’re not interested.” I don’t have a problem with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

The thing is, we get many people signing up just because they want to post a link to their videos / channel / blog etc. By posting a link to their content they gain a benefit from Google search rankings, which is why people want to do it. Obviously I don't know whether someone is joining because they want to post links, or joining because they genuinely want to participate - therefore I remove self-promotional links from new posters until it becomes clear.

They have only made one post so far...

B

Burd

A video of their pond isnt spam, if they post stuff they sell, ya, that's what I do. Someone posts a video of ther car, it's fine.
Can you post a video up using the site pic uploader?
They prob won't make another if their stuff gets taken down, lol. I wouldn't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A video of their pond isnt spam, if they post stuff they sell, ya, that's what I do. Someone posts a video of ther car, it's fine.

I think it was the "youtube channel" is what caused the flag. Perhaps the phrased differently it wouldn't have been removed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe not, but “YouTube Channel” might tip you off. A few years ago we had a member who posted all these really nice pictures of their pond, asking for all this advice. The video link they provided led straight to an advertiser. I just don’t think it’s worth it to debate this anymore. You are starting to sound adversarial toward GPF. It’s the forum’s policy — get over it already!

@Becky Is there a way to have a built-in feature that auto-blocks videos from members until they’ve made a minimum number of posts? I recall that when I first joined, I wasn’t allowed to post any pictures until I made X-number of posts. Maybe that would help.....?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

I'm not saying it's definitely spam, I'm saying it could be self-promotion. People can earn money from advertising on their videos, blogs, etc, which is why they are keen to promote them. As I said in my earlier post, it's too early to tell from one post whether their intention was to join the forum or just have an excuse to post a link, but for the avoidance of doubt I remove any links from new members that look self-promotional.

Like I said, this isn't a blanket ban, members are more than welcome to share their content if they make a contribution to the forum. What it comes down to is the underlying motivation - if the only reason that someone is here is to promote their stuff, then that's not good for the forum. If I allowed it then the forum would be full of self-promotion from people who aren't interesting in helping others or joining the conversation.

@Becky Is there a way to have a built-in feature that auto-blocks videos from members until they’ve made a minimum number of posts? I recall that when I first joined, I wasn’t allowed to post any pictures until I made X-number of posts. Maybe that would help.....?

We could put restrictions in place, but I'd rather not - most of the time new members are posting links/images about things they need help with. We'll see how it goes though - if it becomes too common then I'll look in to it (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry if I intrude the forum with my quick youtube videos. I totally understand from both sides of the spectrum. That's cool. I myself wouldn't want spammers anyways. Thanks for clarifying this.

I was actually wondering why I didn't see my youtube link in my comment anymore - now i know :)

sorry to those that were you looking forward to it. Guess I'll have to earn my ranks before posting any links.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GoPond2018 You still haven’t told us anything about your pond. What kind of pond do you have? How big is it? Do you have any fish? Where do you live? We love hearing about other’s ponds!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Mmathis thanks for the reminder

My Pond
** 10 x 5 x 3 (Length x Distance x Depth) on Liner w/Cinder Blocks as my walls
** 1000 - 1100 gallons
** 15 Koi's
** 800Gph pump
** 565Gph pump to move water around
** Sand & Gravel filter
** UV Light
** 1 pot of Lily plant

I've attached a current picture of the pond. Please excuse the green floating algae. I'm waiting on my new UV light lamp to arrive today.

Attachments

• IMG_20180426_122856862.jpg
    IMG_20180426_122856862.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 147
B

Burd

This is so typical, the staff takes something down, now it turns into a big thread of everyone putting their own thoughts in why it was bad when it wasn't. A pond video never should be deleted, THIS IS A POND FORUM. I'm out here, I won't post anymore here. This is exactly why I started my own forum, one with none of this, See ya. Burd out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is so typical, the staff takes something down, now it turns into a big thread of everyone putting their own thoughts in why it was bad when it wasn't. A pond video never should be deleted, THIS IS A POND FORUM. I'm out here, I won't post anymore here. This is exactly why I started my own forum, one with none of this, See ya. Burd out.
So long!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Burd I understand where you'r coming from. I hope you find your answers elsewhere. It's a bummer what happen but that's okay. Hopefully you stick around a little while longer.

Ask a Question