Hiatt Right Now bacteria. Cyling in a day?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Contrary to what I've read on this forum and elsewhere and what I've believed up to now, there is a bacteria product that allows you to cycle your aquarium and pond in one day?

This isn't a new product. The forum posts I've read date back to 2008 and the manufacturer's website look like it's from the 80's. Anyone know of or used this product?

There was a lot of skepticism in the forums posts I've read, but it seems to work. This stuff is sold dry, bacteria on oat bran, has a shelf life of 5 years and consumes even nitrates! So why isn't it more well known?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hia...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Reaction score
Maybe because its expensive? Am I reading that right? It takes two bottles for 60gals? It would have cost me a fortune to start up my pond. Now, I just picked one of those web sights, might be cheaper somewhere else

Reaction score
JohnHuff said:
So why isn't it more well known?
It was well known back when the scam first launched. The product is not well known today because the scam is well known. Bacteria in a bottle, barley straw, peroxide, these things come out fairly regularly. It doesn't take most people very long to see it's the same scam, just a different story. But there will always be a few people willing to try anything with a good story so there's still money to be made since the product itself costs almost nothing to make.

The internet has made it economical to run these scams.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
I haven't been around long enough to see it then. So it doesn't work? Can you please explain a bit more about it? I've never heard of this scam until today.
Waterbug said:
It was well known back when the scam first launched. The product is not well known today because the scam is well known. Bacteria in a bottle, barley straw, peroxide, these things come out fairly regularly. It doesn't take most people very long to see it's the same scam, just a different story. But there will always be a few people willing to try anything with a good story so there's still money to be made since the product itself costs almost nothing to make.

The internet has made it economical to run these scams.

Reaction score
There have been many bacteria in a bottle scams in the past, and many out there today. Here's my web page on it that was written years before the product you posted was around. Like all cons there are many variations, the story has to change each time or it doesn't work, but the basic con stays the same. Like any good con you have to convince a fair number of people that it actually did work. And there are always a good number of people willing to see what they want to see so that's never a problem.

The internet has made it easier and cheaper to hire shills. It is called "content marketing". Lot's of companies ready to put out as much fake info as you're willing to pay for. Or hire your own on Fiverr, Craigslist, Freelancer. For $5 there are a ton of very good and convincing writers that will post whatever view you would like in any forum, comment section, review, blog, email, etc. It's gotten so bad even law enforcement has had to step in. But so far we only hear about the morons doing this. Like postings 100 reviews on Yelp all from the same IP address...a high school kid can write a script in 10 minutes to catch those morons. There are much more sophisticated companies doing this that are almost impossible to stop. And it's big money.

For a pond product it would only take a couple of hundred dollars to create any "great" product with a dozen or so posters saying great things. But it doesn't even have to cost anything. Create a few fake user accounts in a few forums, build up some post to seem legit and you're ready to launch a scam. You only need a convincing story.

Same as the barley straw scam.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
JohnHuff said:
Contrary to what I've read on this forum and elsewhere and what I've believed up to now, there is a bacteria product that allows you to cycle your aquarium and pond in one day?

This isn't a new product. The forum posts I've read date back to 2008 and the manufacturer's website look like it's from the 80's. Anyone know of or used this product?

There was a lot of skepticism in the forums posts I've read, but it seems to work. This stuff is sold dry, bacteria on oat bran, has a shelf life of 5 years and consumes even nitrates! So why isn't it more well known?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hia...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Just a quick heads up, whenever someone is saying one particular bacteria " X is reponsible for Y " in regards to microbiology, in the context of aquaculture biological filtering, they are quite often wrong. From what I have read, I have found that microbiology is not this simple. Fluctuating chemical concentrations and other environmental variables impact everything and persuades particular microorganisms to grow while hindering other microorganisms and vice versa.

Along in my journey, I have heard of the Hiatt's product referenced, but, outside of the Hiatt's company site, I have not read any significant number of testimonials from professional amateurs make reference to it, whom these individuals do occasionally sterilize their systems and bio-media that they then jump start their systems with other bacteria products, as mentioned in a reply found in is it possible to harm your pond with too much bacteria additives.

At least, the Hiatt product makes a better attempt at selling their product then most other bacteria products, such as the incorporation of a carbon source and other elements it mentions, which are very important.

I know Dr. Roddy Conrad and a few other very avid koi hobbiests believe it is possible to have a tank completely cycled bio-filter within 24 hours and they did experiments, but I never could find any results. So, at this moment, I still assume it is not possible due to the fact of time required and required optimal environment to be created for these chemosynthesizing autorophic bacteria and other organisms to populate a sufficiently operating bio-filtration. These individuals focused on the same elements that Hiatt mentions proper setup of his product.

If a 24 hour cycle were to be achieved, then I imagine it is a multiple stage process involving a form of aerobic heteroph bacteria and other organisms. These aerobic heterophs would achieve the 24 hours cycle, but then, as inorganic chemical concentrations and environment changes, these bacteria would be overcumb by other organisms and other aerobic autrophic bacteria, which are what would be eventually primarily responsible for the bio-filtering.

However, from everything I have read about the Hiatt product, the water environment will have to be precisely controlled to obtain the 24 hour cycle results, which the optimum environmental variables are quite likely more responsible for the 24 hour cycle result moreso than the "specialized Hiatt carbon/bacteria products".

Due to the environmental variables required for this product to work, this product would definitely not work well for the hydroponic/auqaponic industry.

Keep in mind of the context. The product is built for the coral reef hobby context and the salt water aquariums context.

If the inventor really wanted to be a trail blazer, then he would have shared his work to the scientific community and have achieved all sorts of fan faire and recognition within the aquaculture industry.

I just wished the inventor was more open in regards to sharing the specific bacteria or microorganism family or shared the labratory white papers that he said was done on the product. I bet this could be shared in a way without exposing any secrets.

It would be a fun experiment to try the product out in a quarantine tank or something.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Keep in mind... It is not just the Right Now bacteria that allows the Hiatt to complete a cycle within a day. Be sure to read the faq on the hdltd.com website. Other products are involved as well along with controlling the water temperature and a very high turn over rate. The other products involved increase your levels of calcium, carbonate alkalinity, magnesium, and inorganic carbon.

Check out... ways to decrease cycling time

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks for your detailed response and more links to follow. One comment I wanted to add is that on their website it does say that it can be used for freshwater.

One thing I'd always thought about was to have LFS sell ready media. I think maybe media is already traded in clubs or Craig's list. The only time I'd had a tank instantly ready was when I transferred duckweed and a moving bed filter from a cycled tank to a new tank.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
JohnHuff said:
Thanks for your detailed response and more links to follow. One comment I wanted to add is that on their website it does say that it can be used for freshwater.

One thing I'd always thought about was to have LFS sell ready media. I think maybe media is already traded in clubs or Craig's list. The only time I'd had a tank instantly ready was when I transferred duckweed and a moving bed filter from a cycled tank to a new tank.

Well, I don't know. I could only find references to "freshwater" in regard to the Hiatt water conditioner and granular activate carbon product and only one testimonial to an enclosed freshwater tank.

In the reef hobby, you will often find "salinity" referred to as "density" or "spefic gravity", that is 1.001 specific gravity (or density) is equivalent to 0.10% salinity.

To obtain the 24 hour cycle with his bacteria/system, the Hiatt website recommends a density of 1.020~1.025, which is a salinity of 2.66~3.32% and this would absolutely kill our freshwater fish if kept in that solution for more than a few minutes or so.

Also, keep in mind that salinity increases the effectiveness of GAC medium. So, this might be another reason why it might not work as good for a freshwater environment.

Another reason I have my doubts is due to that microorganisms also have their salinity and freshwater tolerances. Particular microorganisms are evolved to do better in a higher density, also referred to as salinity, than other microorganisms.

Hold on a sec... found it for freshwater.

Version of the bacteria for Freshwater environment. So, I guess maybe this bottle will have a different speciation of microorganisms ?? Don't know about the proper dosage and they still recommend to use their formulation of granular activated carbon (GAC) as the bio-media. I suppose you could put the GAC in a DIY pond water filter or try it in a S&G or not for sure about a moving bed filter.

I still have my skepticsm but it is definitely worth a go to try it out to see if it performs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally Charles the only product we use is the microbe-lift brand of which we have yet to fault its kept our pond ticking over quite nicely and there isnt really much that Microbe-lift dont know about bacteria as they started out in sewrage and have branched out over the years.
It may be expensive over ourside of the pond but we cannot fault it , I remember finding it on our local fish shops shelves for the first time that was a happy day that was at last it had made it from the US and we could now try it out at long last.
As other microbe-lift products are making it across now all the better for us here in the UK .
l'd personally recomend it to anyone to try out their brand it really does what it says on the bottle .

rgrds

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Most, if not all, of these bacteria product companies started out from the sewage / water treatment / aquaculture revitalizing industry.

Yep, I have tried their spring/fall enzyme packets and PL and Nite-Out and their sludge reducer product and the PL gel and the rest of their product line involving pond plant supplementations. Properly dosed the water according to their recommended on-going dosing regiment. I did not see the results reflect at the same level for all of the money and product that I was putting in the pond.

Also, after a couple email exchanges for wanting more validation, all they could give me was a published lab paper that was analysing the bacteria population in a lake's sedimentary layer, over in Japan, and none of it was a reference to Microbe-Lift.

Not trying to dissuade you, but this was my experience with them.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have used many different types of bacteria, dry and wet, and all I can tell you for sure is that their is this stuff called SHAC, look it up on the net, and it works 100% and that I know very well first hand!! SHAC was invented right here in Alberta, by some guy in the Cypress hills area. SHAC started out as a product for "out houses" you know...., places in which to bathroom!!! Back then in early 1990, I was just starting out with ponds, and my hubby owned a vacumn truck and he used to clean "shitters" in the Cypress Hills area! We used to joke that he really had a "shitty job"!! Way back then they had this product SHAC, made to eat the "shit" in these houses and it really did work!! These outdoor houses that had the product SHAC used, they never had that bad "smell"!!! I have used it in my pond as well, and it will help get rid of the sludge off the bottom of the pond. That's all I can say for sure!

Ask a Question