Hibernating fish

Reaction score
Oh my God! This is my first winter and my fish have just "parked" on the bottom of the pond in the algae. They look so funny, not moving. Just thought I'd share how funny this looks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing, they sure do park. You almost think they are in trouble, but they are not.

Reaction score
Mine are about to that point but not quite. Water temp is just above 50. They just go down to the deepest part, layer themselves in a big ball and don't move. Some of the smaller Koi will move around a little and the comets will now and then. But otherwise, it is hibernation time. I am going to enjoy the baby Koi I am raising in the house and let the adults sleep.

Reaction score
haha. Yeppers. Isn't is wonderful. Still Koi warm here. But tonight the temps should deep to the 30's. (So they say) Here you never know. Could have ice and snow when you wake up for work. And hot when you leave work!

Koi know when it's time to go down. See ya in the spring. :heartpump:

Reaction score
I feel so bad when it gets warm and they seem to come back alive, but I can't feed them and the waterfall is off, there are no plants... They must wonder why I abandonned them.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm really new to ponds. This house had two ponds when we bought it. Do you turn the waterfall and pump off when it gets cold? I'm in the Florida panhandle so temps really fluctuate here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JustJack, It's the water temp you watch not the air temp. You will find the water temp does not fluctuate as much. Once the water temp goes below 50 degrees consistently then stop feeding. Below 50 degrees your pump doesn't really accomplish much except to stir up the water and stop ice from forming if the water gets close to freezing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Today a co-worker informed me that his neighbor just lost all his Koi. I advised this person about feeding his fish (through my friend) that when the water temperature was lower than 55 to stop feeding.

He didn't listen and they were all found floating soon after. Why is it that some folks are so stubborn that they cannot listen to good advice? :confused:

The sad part is this person is dieing of cancer and this was one of his only passions that he recently took up and could do in his present state.

I am going to try and see what I can do to help him.

I don't have any more information than this.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's sad and so nice of you to try and help him out like that. He prolly just loved to watch them feed everyday and come to him. He must be heartbroken
cry.gif

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My koi go up and down this time a year :lol: just like are weather

I Hope you can help your neighbor DrDave

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Oh, that's so sad! I can understand why he did it, though. My koi come up and beg for food every time I go up there and I feel so bad ignoring them, but I'd been told not to feed them when it gets cold.

But what if the water temp does come up above 50 or 55 for a few days...should I feed them on those days? I just lost my big catfish and I still don't know why--It was only cold one night and I haven't fed him at all, but now I don't want anything to happen to my koi and goldfish.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for cold water feeding,is to give your fish a diet of wheat germ,it contains highly digestible protein,while there metabolism is slow.
I halted all feeding a week ago.They know where to go and hide,by the waterfall where the rocks,flagstones etc extends out into the deep area of the water.

Fish just know!

Ask a Question