j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Free seeds, If intrested I have about 50 seeds I can send out. I'll send out 5 seeds or more if requested and I have enough if you'll PM me and send me your address. This will be first come first serve and limited to what seeds I have available. JW, Your first five seeds are confirmed. If you would like more LMK. Addy and Tmann have second and third dibs as they requested some before this post. I will need to know how many seeds you need.

Fishin the Hibiscus seeds are starting to sprout. I poked a hole in each seed when I planted them and it worked. Think I am gonna have to keep them in pots in the house this winter cuz they are just babies.

Attachments

• IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 274

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

this the one I have and have tons of seeds too .I had 3 seed pods blow away on my holly hocks and can't find them darn it now they will be growing everywhere .We have had strong winds all day dark clouds and not an once of rain .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found this sissy:
Old Fashioned Hollyhocks:

The "Old Fashioned" type of hollyhock have been around for years. They can grow 5
to 7 feet tall. They should be planted along a fence or in front of a building that will
shield some of the wind. Hollyhocks grow best in full sun with well drained soil to limit
root rot and fungus problems. They like lots of water, but should not be setting in
water. The traditional flower color was white, but are available in different colors.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I go to NC I see them growing in the bog in front of the beer plant there and they get huge but are all white .Think they feed them hops .LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh sissy the seeds are plentiful so do an experiment and let us all know how it comes out. I guess you would need a tall stake to keep them upright in the pond/bog tho.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've got some more if you want to give them a try. I have tropical Hisbiscus and have to bring them in for the winter. I would think these could be done that way too.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I've got some more if you want to give them a try. I have tropical Hisbiscus and have to bring them in for the winter. I would think these could be done that way too.
I'm looking around for a space to keep them indoors.What about a 10 gallon fish tank?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
PM me your address, I'll send some with planting instuctions, you can try somethat way and try planting some next spring. Once you geta plant gooing enough to bloom you'll at least have seeds for the next year. they may grow in a tank if kept moist but if they start off they get about 7 ft tall....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now that would be interesting to see.................a 7ft tall Hibiscus in a 10 gallon fish tank...........oh my!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Larkin your seeds are growing into plants now and they are in 1 gallon pots. The Hibiscus leaves tho don't look anything like yours do. Mine are fatter leaves. Do they change after awhile or maybe the seeds don't come true to the plant?

Attachments

• IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 235

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW they look good, Wow your thalia's are growing fast! You should start seeing a change in the leaves very soon. They do start out looking like my wild hibiscus when they start. There might have been one or two seeds from the deep pink wild version I have drop in but not all those. Mine were about 10" tall when they started showing the "marijuana" looking leaf. LOL BTW, Place at least one outside and see how it does as the weather changes, You should start seeing more redness in the leaves soon..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks Larkin and do you think I should keep the Thalia in the house for this winter just to be safe or should I go ahead and stick them in the pond? They are still too short right now to sit in the pond but maybe next year they can go in a bigger pot in the pond.
I'll leave one of the Hibiscus outside and see how it changes in color. Do you think it could survive all winter outside in a pot or in the pond? Can't wait til they bloom maybe next year!

Ask a Question