Hiding fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Glad I got pictures yesterday because they are all hiding today. Saw them briefly this morning frolicking in the waterfalls then I did some work around the pond and they are all hiding. Hope they settle down soon as the kids are going to be disappointed if they stay hidden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Perfectly normal fish behavior. They need time to figure out the surroundings. I'm always happier when my fish are a bit skittish as it makes them a bit more predator proof.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My only concern is they have not tried to eat the small goldfish pellets that I gave them. Since the pellets float and the goldfish have yet to venture off the bottom they may not even notice them. They hang out under the waterfall or in the deep end racing back and forth. And, they look so small down at the bottom.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I first got my goldfish many yrs ago I never fed them anything for several years. They did fine and lived off whatever they could find, worms, bugs, algae etc. Then I decided I wanted them to be more friendly to me so I started feeding them off and on.
Now when I walk by their little round mouths are wide open and eyes are always glaring

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If they aren't eating, don't feed them. They will eventually get used to coming to the top for food. But until then you don't want food in the water that they aren't eating. They won't starve - lots of good things in the pond for them to eat!

One word for you @MajorDan - Patience! It should be the manta of all new pond owners!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Needing patience now as all the fans want more fish now. The five just look lost in all that water.

dustboy

Nattering Nabob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My goldies don’t go after the pellets on the surface, but the smell does seem to stir them up. I started out with 10 and never saw them, now that I have a total of 28 they are visible more often.

My water is a bit green now, so they are hard to see unless they are right at the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My goldies don’t go after the pellets on the surface, but the smell does seem to stir them up. I started out with 10 and never saw them, now that I have a total of 28 they are visible more often.

My water is a bit green now, so they are hard to see unless they are right at the surface.
So what do you give them that they can not resist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm having this problem now....I have 7 fish and the day after the last 5 arrived, they swam as a pack. But the next few days (through today) I only see 6 of them. The missing one is a 4" shubunkin. There are plenty of places to hide; is there a chance the others were picking on him? He's not the smallest one...I have 2 that are only about 2". I think it's highly unlike that he was eaten; I have 2 sarasas which are much more flashy!

I'm not giving up but I'm so sad! The others are thriving and active and eating well.

Also, how do you signal feeding time to your fish? Tap on a rock? Something like that? I don't want to do something noxious!

THANKS!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Dogcatlady - don't give up on your missing fish. We've had fish go missing for weeks at a time and suddenly reappear. They have their reasons, I'm sure!

And like @addy1 said, all you will have to do is show up and they will know the good stuff is coming!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thank you!! I tried to not get attached but it's no use. They're so beautiful and I fell in love.... :love:

Lisa, I'd also love to hear about your pond with the waterfall running all year. When winterizing, normally that gets turned off? I'd love to leave it on just to see the ice formations around it. (Of course I haven't seen the pond electric bill yet!)

Ask a Question