Hiding liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello everyone, our pond is coming along! I am finishing up the rockscaping today on the rest of the edges. There is one area that I am not able to cover. It's flat up against a rock (the last pic) Any suggestions?

IMG_8063.jpg
IMG_8066.jpg
IMG_8068.jpg
IMG_8076.jpg
IMG_8077.jpg
IMG_8079.jpg
)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Looks great! Your plants all look so happy! For the exposed liner, is that a totally vertical surface? Or is it a little flat-ish? If possible, you could put some larger round river rocks on it, possibly using a little waterfall foam to encourage it to stay in place. Then you could fill the voids with pea pebbles or other small rocks. I'm guessing your creeping Jenny will start creeping her way down there anyway and might decide to set up housekeeping in the cracks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
never cut excess liner. you never know if you need to pull up to stop a leak. That being said. all looks good so far. can use plants or rocks or gravel Us those options to make it look how you want.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like the liner is a bit flat, ^^ try what is said above, it most likely will work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've been puzzling over how you would hide that edge ever since you first posted pictures of your pond!

I take it there's no shelf? Was the big rock behind it already there? How wide is the spot in the pond? Lots of questions - no answers yet!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been puzzling over how you would hide that edge ever since you first posted pictures of your pond!

I take it there's no shelf? Was the big rock behind it already there? How wide is the spot in the pond? Lots of questions - no answers yet!

It's about 5 feet wide? The rock was already there. IF I was smart, I would have left a shelf! I wish I could hang some sort of "plant bag" along there and use plants to hide it. The creeping Jenny and phlox will cover it with time I hope...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I don't know the Jets of your pond but would it be possible to get some large flat rocks like Flagstone and have them on edge in the bottom of the pond leaning up against the expo's liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, a shelf is the right way to conceal an edge. Anything else (other than a flagstone edging, which is a whole different approach) is always going to plague you, I fear.

So some ideas -

1. yes, some have designed hanging planter bags or pouches to conceal liner. But you have quite a stretch there to cover. Perhaps a series of hanging planter bags?
2. Rock on a roll - a product designed for just this purpose. I've heard it's pricey, but it looks OK and will cover that liner until you can get some plants growing
3. Dig that shelf - it's not impossible to pull the liner back and create even a small shelf that could hold some rocks that would help IMMENSELY in concealing the liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is that section of liner attached to anything or anchored by anything at all? IOW, is it an open “sack” where water will get behind it? I can’t tell from the pics, but that’s what it looks like in picture #6, where there is the tall rock face. If it is “open,” I’m not sure that anything plant-wise will “hide it.” I would be concerned about water getting under and between the liner and undermining the ground, eventually collapsing that wall. But, I could be looking at the pictures wrong.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Could probably wiggle the big rock around with pry bars to get the liner under it and hidden. Or use chainfalls or a come a long to pick it up. Depends how “handy”you guys are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
So beautiful! I’m jealous of your plants. My pond is in the shade so I’m limited in my plant choices. I love how you designed it. Keep us posted with the liner issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I've managed to glue stones to the liner with a dab of NP1 on the back side of each stone. Just below the waterline.
You'll have to lower the water level to do this, and wait at least 24-48 hours before bringing the level back to normal. Then just dry stack stones on top to hide the liner. It works well for me, and the fish, and plants don't seem to notice that it's been done.

Ask a Question