Hiding pond liner against a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the help I got my introduction post.
I walked away with a lot of great ideas and was able to get a much better idea of what type of installation I'm going to go for.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on concealing the liner of a pond (or even just securing), especially within the context of a stone brick wall (which I'm buying in the materials to construct. Simply digging down and filling a pond to ground level, it seems easy enough to arrange pebbles, rocks and plant life to conceal the ugly PVC material but in the context of a wall, which ideally I'd like to get the most aesthetic value out of... I'm not so sure how to go about it.

Any tips or tricks that have worked for people?

Reaction score
hello, i am uk also, i am struggling to understand exactly what you mean, is the liner going up against the wall ? is it a sunken pond or raised pond, how much of the wall are you wanting to be visable ? are you digging doen and lining the hole with brick walls ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have concrete anchor screws but you will need a face plate first and the liner behind it and screw through both of them .I think that is what you are talking about

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i am uk also, i am struggling to understand exactly what you mean, is the liner going up against the wall ? is it a sunken pond or raised pond, how much of the wall are you wanting to be visable ? are you digging doen and lining the hole with brick walls ?

Oh hi, nice to meet you - Cumbria is a lovely part of the country.
I'm planning on building an approximately 3.5-4ft deep pond with about half of it above ground and contained by a wall and half underneath.

I'm wanting a small amount of the wall to be visible but I can always build it a little bit higher to allow for that.

Yeah, the brick walls are extending down into the hole too.

Reaction score
ah i get what you mean now, i suppose the easiest way to secure would be to build the walls to the height you want your liner, fill with water to take up any slack in the liner then fold liner over top brick, trim it down so it has about 50 - 75 % coverage over the brick then continue to build your finishing courses of brick work ontop of liner, if you get what i mean, or the other way would be to build your walls to full height then make or purchase some sort of termination bar / strip that would screw to your walls and secure the edge of the liner at whatever height you want it, again fill with water first to take up any slack before securing. i would also add a good thickness of underlay between liner and brickwork just to help prevent against punctures. if you are not sure what i mean i will try and do a diagram and post it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The best technique we have seen is to construct the wall holding the liner with a step or ledge at the top half the thickness of the wall. The halfway up the step is the planned water surface. Once the liner is in place it folds into the step and is cut at the top of the wall. The step is then filled in with stone or brick to lock the liner in place and the liner is covered up by the hardscape material. I’d make the wall step high enough to have the wall lip 4 to 6 inches above the water level or use a capstone to reach that level. Hard for a koi to jump out of a 6 inch lip. A wall perpendicular to the water surface also helps to keep them in. A cap stone that extends into the pond makes the jump even harder.

Ask a Question