Hiding Shubies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I set up an aerator for ponds up to 1000 gallons (mine is 900 gallons) a couple of days ago since we are warming up fast here in Florida and my adult shubunkins refuse to come out from their fish cave. I moved one of the two air stones further away from their cave so now they are hanging out at the entrance but still refuse to come out to eat…The younger fish are swimming in and around the bubbles with no problem. I am pretty sure that eventually they will adapt to the new surroundings but can’t help but wonder if the vibration bothers them…

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It's something new and strange to them, they will get used to it.
Yes, I am sure they will but I still can't help but wonder if the hum bothers them..there is still a lot we don't know about when it comes to fish....With my personality it would drive me crazy:)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Unlikely it bothers them long term, look at it this way, how you can tell something is bothering them it would show up in the fish eventually in the form of developing infections, disease, etc. Long term stress will compromise their immune systems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I set up an aerator for ponds up to 1000 gallons (mine is 900 gallons) a couple of days ago since we are warming up fast here in Florida and my adult shubunkins refuse to come out from their fish cave. I moved one of the two air stones further away from their cave so now they are hanging out at the entrance but still refuse to come out to eat…The younger fish are swimming in and around the bubbles with no problem. I am pretty sure that eventually they will adapt to the new surroundings but can’t help but wonder if the vibration bothers them…
out of curiosity, how warm is your pond right now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
My fish's motto is, "I HATE CHANGE!" You could turn off the aeration for a few hours and see if they come out. Are you worried about the vibration of the air bubbles or the vibration of the aeration pump? If the latter, I find that a piece of 1/2" thick cork under the air pump helps buffer the noise and vibrations. (My pond is 78 degrees at dawn)
(And what do you think those adult fish are doing while hanging around back in the fish cave? oh NO!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My fish's motto is, "I HATE CHANGE!" You could turn off the aeration for a few hours and see if they come out. Are you worried about the vibration of the air bubbles or the vibration of the aeration pump? If the latter, I find that a piece of 1/2" thick cork under the air pump helps buffer the noise and vibrations. (My pond is 78 degrees at dawn)
(And what do you think those adult fish are doing while hanging around back in the fish cave? oh NO!)
Well SarahT I hope the ONLY reason they have gone into hiding is because they don't like the bubbles:)
They are slowly poking out now so they are getting used to the change...Funny how the little ones were not fazed at all...

Ask a Question