Hiding waterfall sides/front with plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi everyone,

Currently I have cinder blocks stacked like stairs (3 steps if you want to call it) for my waterfall base... everything is flowing and running as I would like it. All i need to do now is cover the sides and liner with plants or rocks...
I had an idea in my head to build up some shelves with leftover slate pieces and place plants in pots on the slate to hide my waterfall set up.

Any ideas on what kind of bushy plants i can use to hide the sides? I know nothing of plants. I was going to go to home depot and browse today... but do you guys think it would work to hide the waterfall? Perhaps something along the lines of vines or whatever?

Sorry for the dumb question... i am new to all of this.

BTW--- I am in Zone 6 (NJ) Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Iris's of all kinds
Lily's of all kinds
Sweet Flag Grass
Hostas
Creeping Jenny
Mint (very invasive)
Watercress

There are some ideas that would work in your zone. All can be planted directly in the water bare root wedged inbetween rocks or in pots placed in the water.

I am sure others will provide some more ideas :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used artemisia and lambs ear nice and soft white silver color and come back every year .I just like the feel of them

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
i like elephant ears... you can get the mammoth variety and those leaves could cover up just about anything :) Big green leaf in the back side of the pond.

&--#60;div&--#62;[
&--#60;div&--#62;
&--#60;/div&--#62; &--#60;/div&--#62; &--#60;p&--#62; &--#60;/p&--#62;

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing once they die back in the fall you will see it all winter and not sure about what you could use that waould be evergreen besides evergreens of some sort

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
The only thing once they die back in the fall you will see it all winter and not sure about what you could use that waould be evergreen besides evergreens of some sort

Yeah, true, i guess some people might care about that. I know my pond looks horrible in the winter, but thats doesnt bother me, im not going to sit around outside and freeze

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for the replies!!! The way we set up the waterfall does not look bad... it sort of looks like a mound of random pieces of flat stones/rocks but I was able to put some waterfall foam and landscape adhesive to sort of fill gaps and hold it in place. Got a few plants to plant around the "mound" to hide it a bit which looks a lot better. I think we may get some driftwood to go across the front of the waterfall to hide more of the plastic liner. The front of the waterfall needs some more work (since you can see the plastic liner more in the front than anywhere else). working on it a little at a time. I will post pics of the final project probably in a week or week and a half. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Pecan-- My mom has TONS of mint at her house... I will definitely get some tonight or tomorrow and plant. I dont mind it spreading like it does (i even seen some growing from their wood pile HAHA)... i use it to make mint iced tea. *grin*

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yep, mint will take off in water. And as my husband says, if there was ever an economic collapse and the country fell apart, we'ed be sitting by the pond sipping mojitos garnished with fresh mint. LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just used the mint to make some great mint/green tea! Iced it down tasted wonderful That mint grows in the water or land, easy to control just yank it out. Love the smell when I mow it down. Covers things nicely and comes back after winter.

Ask a Question