High Amonia levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We can’t get the Ammonia levels to come down in our new pond, all other levels are fine.
Pond is approx 500 gallons 2 1/2 ft deep.

3 mature koi
9 goldfish

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water changes and something like Prime by Seachem to bind ammonia will help for now.

You can also add extra filtration and cut down or stop feeding fish until ammonia levels come down to zero.

And I would also consider re-homing the koi. You need a much bigger pond to keep them long term. I think your safe with the 9 goldfish (at least until they start having babies) ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Thank you for getting back to me, what would you suggest the minimum size should be? We have had the fish for 13 years in the same size pond with exactly the same filtration system but now just in a new location and never had a problem which is why we are stumped. I have stopped feeding and will try the water changes.

Thank you once again

500 gallons is too small for even one small koi! You need to rehome all koi and some of your gold fish.
Water changes and something like Prime by Seachem to bind ammonia will help for now.

You can also add extra filtration and cut down or stop feeding fish until ammonia levels come down to zero.

And I would also consider re-homing the koi. You need a much bigger pond to keep them long term. I think your safe with the 9 goldfish (at least until they start having babies) ;)
500 gallons is too small for even one small koi! You need to rehome all koi and some of your gold fish.

Hi

We can’t get the Ammonia levels to come down in our new pond, all other levels are fine.
Pond is approx 500 gallons 2 1/2 ft deep.

3 mature koi
9 goldfish

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like your old pond was larger- 800 gallons I believe is what you posted. Rule of thumb is 1000 for 1st koi, and 500 for additional. My koi are 2-3 feet in size. I have seen koi kept in small ponds. They do not grow and become stunted with curved spines. At 500 gallon I would stick with the gold fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big are your koi? If you have had them 13 years, they would, most likely, be around 2 feet in size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

They are butterfly koi. Largest is about 18 inches I think this is a female and the other two are about 16 inches each, the largest of the 9 goldfish is only about 7inches, we inherited all the fish and they have been doing fine, unfortunately we had no choice but had to move them from their previous location, and they all seem fine. I am panicking now because I don’t know what to do with them building a bigger pond is not an option . Interestingly I took the water to an aquatic place for testing and they tested with two different kits and could not detect any ammonia... all other levels were good.

How big are your koi? If you have had them 13 years, they would, most likely, be around 2 feet in size.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Could be your test kit is bad @Swallowtail
If fish are acting fine then I wouldn't worry. Get another test kit. The liquid kind work best. What kind of filtration system do you have? It must be doing a good job but there may come a day when the koi just can't handle that small of a pond for them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they used the test strips they are known to be inaccurate. The liquid drop test is preferred.

Can you maybe set up a rubbermaid stock tank and move some of the goldfish? You would need some type of matured filter media as you don't want to expose them to uncycled tank.

If nothing else I would at least recommend doing small frequent water changes.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your first post said the ammonia level is high but I can't find where you posted the ammonia level unless I'm missing it. What did you use to initially test the water?

Ask a Question