High amonia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help me I have an established pond about 15 years old of mixed koi and goldfish, its approx 6000 ltrs. I have really high amonia levels and losing fish daily. So far I have part changed the water about 8 times used various chemicals from my local supplier added salt , pond safe when refilling and still showing high amonia and still losing fish.
Can anyone please help me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Cracker123.
How high is your ammonia, what chemicals have you used, what is your fish population (number of fish and size) and filtration?
Also, have you tested your water for any other parameters, including temperature?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Cracker123 - sorry that it's pond trouble that's brought you here for the first time. @MitchM will be a great resource for you to sort this one out - pay careful attention to the questions he's asking and do your best to give as much information as you can and you'll be back on track in no time!

And I'll ask for the one thing we always ask for - pictures! We love pictures!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Cracker123.
How high is your ammonia, what chemicals have you used, what is your fish population (number of fish and size) and filtration?
Also, have you tested your water for any other parameters, including temperature?
Hi there I have about 6 koi largest being about 6lb in weight and now only about 10 goldfish about 6 inches in size. Ammonia level on the dip sticks is constantly 6.0 very high despite numerous water changes with pond start to combat tap water. Temperature is about 10 degrees and I use a filtering with built in uv light which has been good for years.

Attachments

• 15504999401741613263760.jpg
    15504999401741613263760.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 241

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and can you get hold of zeolite .I always have it handy .

Attachments

• 100_4658.JPG
    100_4658.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 257

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
quilt batting in a crate with a pump in the pond with a hose from it running into the crate will help also .I use that when I have any problems

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The Pond Safe you are using is only effective for 24-48 hours, but if your pond is 15 years old something has seriously gone wrong.
Is this a recent development?
Could some animal have fallen into the pond and died?
How long did the dead fish remain in the pond before they were removed?
Could some pesticide or herbicide have gotten into the pond water?
Test strips are not very accurate and 6.0 is the maximum that some test strips measure up to.
Is there any physical appearance you can see on the dead fish that could indicate the cause of death?
Post a picture of the dead fish if you can.
Other water test parameters would be helpful, from liquid drop test kits, not test strips.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pet stores have it and you can get it online ,not sure what you have there .But I agree with Mitch ,something caused this and you will need to find out what it was .But at least you will get it down some for fish safety .Do you have aerator in the pond and what kind of filter .I have koi and have 2 stock tank filters and 12 airstones ,koi can get stressed .Are you feeding them ,stop now ,no more food until you get it down API liquid test kit is better

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been about a month but if you're still having ammonia problems when I set up a new pond I was having ammonia spikes make sure you check the pond for any kind of dead animals or fish I purchased Eco Labs NITE32 microbe lift Nite out nutrify bacteria 32 oz I kept playing around with the ammonia spikes and nitrite and I just decided to dump the whole bottle in fix the problem instantly. Didn't have any further problems after that.

Ask a Question