high amonia

Reaction score
I have a new pond 1200 gallons, 4 bay multi filter , brushes - alafrog - lava rock - pillow stuffing. also UV. te pond has run for 10 days and on Friday evening I introduced 4 large ghost carp and 6 small goldies. The water up to this morning was chrystal clear. However this evening it is cloudy. I have fed the fish small amounts yesterday and some this morning. I have tested the water just now and:
PH value 8
Nitrite 03mg/l
Ammonia 0.3mg/l

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Give it time and if necessary, do partial water changes to keep the nitrate/nitrite levels down. It will settle down in 2-3 weeks, sometimes it takes longer. Cloudy water is common in a new pond.

Reaction score
i have stopped feeding them and drained of about 10% of the water. I have a slow (very slow) tap running now and I have added some tap-safe treatment. How do i know when to feed them again

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Why would you stop feeding them? It takes food, and poop to get the bio system going. Once it is established, it takes care of the bad stuff. Just don't feed more than they can eat in 5 minutes.

Reaction score
oh god this all so scary and confusing, i read an article on the net about "New pond syndrome" that gave the advice, do the following immediately:

1. Stop Feeding

2. Aerate vigorously from the bottom of the pond

3. Carry out a 30% water change with treated water.

I also have read horror stories about people losing Koi. The fish are showing no signs of distress or accuentated breathing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Don't panic. You will get great advice here. Your new pond will take time and it will not happen overnight.
You said new pond, but you didn't say when it was filled the first time. Or is the 10 day comment adressing this time frame?
From the time a few fish were introduced, it could take as long as 6-8 weeks total to get a balanced pond. in the meantime, go slow and keep an eye on the levels. Feed as I previously stated and do partial water changes if the levels get into the danger zone. Most kits have a reference to this in their charts.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i did about a 20% water change every other day for the first couple of weeks as i moved all my fish in one go into there new pond that was a few months ago now and they are all well .. and yes my water went cloudy for a while then green but now nice and clear

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you might go get yourself a large bag of zeolite and use that for a last stage in filtration...it does one thing...absorbs ammonia.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your words of wisdom, I appreciate it.
OK from the beginning, I had a pond for 10 years, in it 2 goldfish and 2 medium size Ghost koi, just tiddlers when I originally got them but they have grown well and healthy over time. The pond at just 400gallons was getting too small for the Koi so it has been my intention for a while to dig a new pond and grow my Koi collection. Then I heard of a neighbour that had moved into a new house and didn’t want the inherited fish (3 large Koi and 4 goldfish). So I purchased the 1200 gallon pond/pump/aerator/ multi bay filter from EBay and have subsequently spent any spare time for the last month digging, plumbing, wiring, building etc. Once the pond as in 10 days ago I pumped the old pond water into the new pond and transferred the original 2 Koi and 2 goldfish, repeated the process of filling the old pond, treating the water and pumping it in to the new pond after 48 hours twice over. The last time being 10 days ago. Then Friday evening UK time I introduced the new 3 large Koi and 5 goldfish.

when I change the water is it OK to run a slow hose into the pond. The old pond is now gone so I dont have the facility to hold and treat water prior to filling the new pond

Reaction score
Based on experience of tropical fish aquariums only - The cloudy water is a bacteria bloom. Like Dave said very common though not at all attractive. It's not a great thing but will take care of itself. As quick as it came with in a week or so, you'll come out to look and the water will be crystal clear. Your cycle should just about be established too. To aerate is a good thing at this point. Oxygen helps with the bacteria growth. The reason some people say to stop feeding is to reduce ammonia if your levels are spiking very high. The theory less food = less fish waste = less ammonia. Zeolite is good. A dechlor like Prime and some others also have an ammonia block. The ammonia is still there but not toxic, or as toxic. Your pH of 8 is also a plus for you because ammoinia at 8 ppm is less toxic then at 7ppm. Keep a watchful eye on pH at this point, it may start to drop....or not. Try to do enough water changes to keep you ammonia about .25 ppm or mg/l (same thing).

Ask a Question