High-Fin Banded Sharks

Reaction score
Country
United States
How effective are Chinese High-Fin Sharks at removing string algae? Thinking about ordering 2 of them just to see. Anybody have them? I live in WI but I hear they will overwinter just fine. Any tips / advice before I order is great.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Live in Maryland, and tried them a couple of times in my pond over the years, they didn’t do much of Anything and never made it through the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in ohio hard winters mine did fine grew a lot over the winter my mom and sister have them also they did fine too. As for controlling algae they eat it but if your looking for it to clear it all up I’d have to say no get barley extract. The sharks are neat to watch grow and change looks as they get bigger and they do get very large so your pond has to be big enough to accommodate there size they grow quickly

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in ohio hard winters mine did fine grew a lot over the winter my mom and sister have them also they did fine too. As for controlling algae they eat it but if your looking for it to clear it all up I’d have to say no get barley extract. The sharks are neat to watch grow and change looks as they get bigger and they do get very large so your pond has to be big enough to accommodate there size they grow quickly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Those things grow very very big. They are sensitive to not so clean water. They may eat algae but they wont really clean up your water. You need a bog to do that. They are pretty when small and turn ugly when big.

Ask a Question