High Iron Content in Water

Reaction score
Country
United States
So.... I filled my 3000 gallon with well water (over the course of a couple of days) to get the wrinkles out of the liner. When I drained it to add rocks, the liner is full of this rusty-color coating. I know my water is very hard since we had to add an iron curtain in our basement. Will this affect the fish and plants or will running my bog for a week or two balance everything out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have iron in my well water too (I use rust-out pellets and may not be as bad as yours) and it doesn't negatively affect anything. The plants will help (and like) the water-bourn form of iron. I bet some of your color is coming from iron bacteria, too. Over time, as plants and fish inhabit your water, it should lower the pH and 'iron' out some of your water quality wrinkles. You could do some water tests (use liquid, not strips; API makes a good kit) and verify to yourself you don't have other parameters that are out of whack, just in case.

Ask a Question