High Nitrate level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have had a pond for 11 years - above ground 15ft x 4ft x 2.5ft, has a yamitsu black box with 4 filter sponges, pro clear 55w uv and an air pump as i dont want plants, up until 2 months ago all was fine crystal clear water fish fine ( 12 large fish nothing fancy ) 3 koi - few ghost - couple of fish i have had from about my previous house. since we had torrential rain a few months ago i have lost 4 fish ( only had 12 to start with ).Nitrate through the roof - ph 7 - NO2 is low - i did what looked like a 75% water change - added some water stabiliser and that stuff you use after adding tap water. i have just added 24 hours ago those pond bomb pellets in a filter bag in my black box also just now added some envi nitrate klear.

am i missing something - any suggestions would be greatly received. In 11years i havenever had any fish die on me until last 2 ish month where now i have had 4

Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Can you give us exact numbers for all of your water tests? “Through the roof” doesn’t say anything. Actually, the nitrate levels aren’t the dangerous ones.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for getting back so quick
just did another API 5 in 1 test and readings are as follows
NO3 - 200
NO2 - 1
PH - 7
KH - 60
GH - 180

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1638206139443.gif
@grumpyseagull

1638206110323.gif

Sorry to hear you are losing fish. Wondering about so much rain and it being acidic. Not sure on the issues w/fish so hopefully someone can help soon.

1638206277562.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
tetra pond water stabilizer
and
pure pond bomb....
its so frustrating - had this pond running and what i thought looked so clean - no debris on bottom - no algae - and since the rain a few months ago its all gone pete tong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if it was my pond i would do a 40-50% water change to get that ammonia down, ammonia above 1mg/l is getting toxic for fish 2mg/l is toxic, was it an evolution aqua pure pond bomb ? i have used them when starting a filter off. hold of with the envii klear nitrate isnt toxic between 20-60mg/l, your no3 nitrate reading says 200 is that 20mg/l ? if so that is acceptable. hope this is of some help, cheers mark.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
also i just noticed your pond is roughly 1000gal so maybe your koi/ghosts/goldfish have grown in the 11 years you have had them and you are now reaching a tipping point on your filter versus fish waste maybe time to think about a bit more filtration or move a couple of fish on, a lot of forum members use an upflow bog as there only filtration with fantastic results.

Ask a Question