High nitrate reading from tap water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday i filled up a garden pond i have recently dug with tap water for the first time and after testing it today i found that it had a nitrate reading of 75ppm. Is there any way of lowering this level and treating any tap water i use in the future for water changes as i am planning on adding fish to the pond in the coming weeks.

Many thanks

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Add plants to the pond they will use nitrates to grow and help keep the pond in balance, also you just ran into one of the reasons water changes on a pond are unnecessary at best and detrimental to the water quality in the pond at worst.
Don’t do water changes on the pond once it is up and running, evap top off isn’t that big a deal also nitrates aren’t as toxic to fish as ammonia and nitrites.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589230459184.gif
@15wrightalfie
If you do ever do any partial water changes,never full ones, make sure you do them slowly, like slow fresh water in while pumping the same amount of old water out and if you have city water w/chlorine/cloromine in it make sure to use the additives to control those poisons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday i filled up a garden pond i have recently dug with tap water for the first time and after testing it today i found that it had a nitrate reading of 75ppm. Is there any way of lowering this level and treating any tap water i use in the future for water changes as i am planning on adding fish to the pond in the coming weeks.

Many thanks
Hi. If you add fish just start with one or two small ones until the pond “cycles”. If you don’t know what that is it would be good to look it up. Good luck!

Ask a Question